got some LR!!!(pics)now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PiscesLou

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought some LR today! Ive in got QT, the guy at the LFS says in been curing in the tank for about 3 to 4 weeks. I think he gets it from Waltersmith.com( I seen a few boxes of it). how long till I can put it in my display tank. what "stuff" do I get rid of on the rock before then?there some white stuff on it, Do I brush that off?

If it was actually curing 3-4 weeks in the LFS, its probably mostly cured. Do you REALLY trust your LFS?

If the white stuff is flakey, it's probably die off, and should be lightly brushed off.

Do you already have a tank running? If so, good idea to QT it a week or so. If your tank's empty of life, you can put the LR in to help the cycle.

for aquascaping and to get some light on pieces of the rock that would not get some otherwise :?:

I don't think that is a good idea. If it is good LR, then there would be a ton of happy creatures using the middle of that rock and you would kill them all. It would also not be very good to have your rock out of water long enough to cut it. The whole idea of LR is to keep it alive...if you just want to aquascape you can use Base Rock...or plastic for that matter.

if you want smaller pieces just ask him for smaller pieces. Your gonna have to let the shaded stuff die off.. It's the way of life...
Put the best looking side up and hope for the best !

thanx..Ill just get smaller pieces later on and leave the rock the way it is, I just thought that how people get the variety of shapes for aquascaping.OK.. next,I have it in a rubbermaid tub with SW at 1.025, a powerhead and a heater and one 36 watt 10k PC on. Ive seen some life on the rock....what do I get rid of?I am paranoid of introducing parasites(cirolanid) into my tank. Ive read that some aquarist use the fish for "bait" to see if they are present, Ive got some damsels.. :evil: would you recommend this..or is there some other humane way?

Back
Top Bottom