Gourami questions..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Totally agree man. I have 2 in my 30 gallon and they have been living for 3 years now. They are very small however. So for a 29 gallon it may be to small but you gotta go by the size of the fish. What size is best for them to be kept in?

How aggressive are yours? Do you have other tankmates with them or are they by themselves?

Honestly, I'd Probably say 55 gallon or larger; both because of its potential adult size and because they can be territorial. While they each have their own personality and not all are aggressive, they still have potential to reach a fairly large size.

Last edited:
Don't mean to barge in but would a gourami be ok in a tank with paradise fish, rainbows, tetras, and corys?

Coleallensmom said:
How aggressive are yours? Do you have other tankmates with them or are they by themselves?

Honestly, I'd Probably say 55 gallon or larger; both because of its potential adult size and because they can be territorial. While they each have their own personality and not all are aggressive, they still have potential to reach a fairly large size.

My gouramis are not aggressive at all, they never chase each other or fin nip but will kiss each other from time to time. They are the only fish in the tank besides my pleco and catfish. But like i said they are small but a great fish to keep.

My gouramis are not aggressive at all, they never chase each other or fin nip but will kiss each other from time to time. They are the only fish in the tank besides my pleco and catfish. But like i said they are small but a great fish to keep.

How long have they been in that tank??? Kissing gouramis get about ten inches long.

Don't mean to barge in but would a gourami be ok in a tank with paradise fish, rainbows, tetras, and corys?

Sounds fine to me.

Ihave a 4 inch blue gurami in my 55 he will Chase my parguayen eartheaters and my blood parrots he won't mess with my jack dempseys at all or my clown Loaches

fishiefish51 said:
Totally agree man. I have 2 in my 30 gallon and they have been living for 3 years now. They are very small however. So for a 29 gallon it may be to small but you gotta go by the size of the fish. What size is best for them to be kept in?

Living for three years and still small?

As in my experience, I've had some be aggressive and some that just don't care. Like it's been stated. They will almost always have territorial aggressiveness during mating but it's kind of a crap shoot beside that. Right now I only have one croaking gourami.

Paradise fish are a gourami (called paradise gouramis, actually). And it all depends on tanks size, what kind you want, etc. Start another thread and put up more details so that people can help you out better.

I was also thinking that my 29 gallon would be kind of small for gouramis. I like to give my fish as much space as possible. And Id feel bad putting only one gourami by itself with other fish. Id feel it would need a familliar friend lol

Predfan27 said:
Living for three years and still small?

As in my experience, I've had some be aggressive and some that just don't care. Like it's been stated. They will almost always have territorial aggressiveness during mating but it's kind of a crap shoot beside that. Right now I only have one croaking gourami.

Yes I mated my other Kissers in my larger tanks and the 2 of 30 are in my 30 gallon they are still very small.

I was also thinking that my 29 gallon would be kind of small for gouramis. I like to give my fish as much space as possible. And Id feel bad putting only one gourami by itself with other fish. Id feel it would need a familliar friend lol

It would be fine for a dwarf gourami. If you do a larger gourami, I'd do only one. They really don't need more than one to thrive. I have a single blue three spot female in my 50 gal and she is more than happy to swim around with my Angels.

I have always liked the dwarf gouramis. Theyre cute and my lfs have tons of them. We've thrown a few ideas out there, because we plan to get a 120gallon in the super near future. Its mainly because we have a Bala that needs a huge tank. We wanted to put him in there along with our Platys, neons,..etc in it. I know Balas get big, but what about Dwarf gouramis in with all of them? Do they and Balas go together? I know Bals are peaceful. Hes adapted my Platys crazy funny behavior. Hes not easily scared or startled as Ive heard Balas are.

I have always liked the dwarf gouramis. Theyre cute and my lfs have tons of them. We've thrown a few ideas out there, because we plan to get a 120gallon in the super near future. Its mainly because we have a Bala that needs a huge tank. We wanted to put him in there along with our Platys, neons,..etc in it. I know Balas get big, but what about Dwarf gouramis in with all of them? Do they and Balas go together? I know Bals are peaceful. Hes adapted my Platys crazy funny behavior. Hes not easily scared or startled as Ive heard Balas are.

How big is the bala now? He may be relatively peaceful now, but that could change as he matures. (They are also shoaling fish, so once you get a larger tank for him, you may want to consider adding more.) He should currently be compatable with a dwarf gourami, just remember that there is a possibility that a full grown Balas may eat smaller fish.

Im not sure how big exactly he is now. Hes small. And that sucks that he may grow up to be not so peaceful anymore. We only have 3 neons thats are growing fairly big, so right now theyre definitely too big for him to eat. We dont plan on getting more neons when he gets bigger. We wanted to get a couple more Balas for sure when we get the new tank. Do you think 120gallon is too small for 3 or 4 Balas, 7 Platy, headlight tail lights, neons, and say a dwarf gourami or two? Or did you say that the DG might not be compatible when the Balas get bigger?

Im not sure how big exactly he is now. Hes small. And that sucks that he may grow up to be not so peaceful anymore. We only have 3 neons thats are growing fairly big, so right now theyre definitely too big for him to eat. We dont plan on getting more neons when he gets bigger. We wanted to get a couple more Balas for sure when we get the new tank. Do you think 120gallon is too small for 3 or 4 Balas, 7 Platy, headlight tail lights, neons, and say a dwarf gourami or two? Or did you say that the DG might not be compatible when the Balas get bigger?

I think balas need about a 200 gallon tank because although that tank is big enough for them not to get stunted it is not big enough to keep a proper shoal with their highly active behavior. Dwarf gouramis should be fine if you get a big enough tank IMO.

With us moving we gotta see what we can afford as far as a tank size. Of course the lfs didnt explain stuff to us when we bought him. We had actually bought 3. Two one week, and the one we have now a few days after them. Those 3 were in the 36 gallon when the serpaes were in there. We believe(as ive said somewhere on here) those serpaes have killed everything we put with them except the silver tips. So one by one the Balas started to die (it was so upsetting) they would get smaller and almost wither away. So before the 3rd one headed down that same road, we put him in the 29 gallon (when it was up and running) to try ans save him. Now hes thriving. We are definitely getting the 120 gallon. Just not sure if we can get a 200g. Atleast not right now

Yep definitely :)
And thanks for not discrimating or being mean to me about my Bala being in a 36gallon temporarily. You wouldnt believe how mean some people on this site are and are VERY harsh even to people like me who have made mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom