Gouramis vs angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelbidavis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Which do you guys prefer? Can gouramis and angel fish be together in a 46 gallon? If not I'm trying to decide which one will be better and how many I can get in a 46 gallon tank. I already have six neons in the tank right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The angels will eventually eat the neons.
It depends on which gouramis you want to keep with the angels, but, most gouramis can live with angels.

The angel may not necessarily eat the Neons if you start with a small sized one. Also if you keep it fed consistently even less of a chance for it to munch on them. My angel lives with 5 neons and 2 gouramis (Gold and Snakeskin) with no issues for a year now.

it probably depends on the fish though (like most cichlids haha) cause mine were just evilly ferocious and liked to kill and eat everything small enough.

I have read its fine. I have two dwarf gouramis with six angels in my 55. They have only been together a week though so things could change dramatically but so far they pretty much ignore each other

I kept 4 Angels with my aging Opaline Gourami for quite a few months before my gourami died of old age. The angels started off small and were around a half dollar size when the gourami died. They didn't seem to mind each other and actually hung out together some of the time.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd go with the Angels. Way more personality and like to interact with you (standard cichlid personality), compared to gouramis who tend to be skittish and hide a lot (at least all of the 6 gourami's I've kept did).

I think it depends on what you like. I've never had angel fish, but have 3 pearl gourami in my 55 gallon. I really enjoy them, they are graceful, fairly slow swimmers, peaceful, don't bother anyone. I would say don't put any really fast swimmers in with them as they will not be comfortable. I have 2 females and a male.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom