gouramis with comets, rosy barbs and corys. what do u think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll say it once again. The comets will get huge for your 15 gallon tank. Add in gouramis and barbs, and things will just get worst. Nix the comets, and you'd have a good setup...but not with the comets. Different food, temperatures, everything is needed for the comet.

I agree the comets are a bad idea with that mix of fish. And, that the 15g tank is way to small for even one comet for very long. The gourami would do ok in that tank if you are talking about dwarf gourami. The rosy barbs and cories will do fine.

You already have the comets right? Maybe you could get a pet store to take them back since your 15 gallon is unsuitable for them longterm and it sounds like you are interested in a tropical community tank.

what i know of, gouramis and cory's are tropical fish and need warmer temps...i'm not sure how rosy barbs tolerate with lower temps

the only reason why we ask to bring your comets back are so they dont grow too big and eat the rest of your fish and we want your fish to be able to find a huuuge aquarium or pond to be happy in :D

HTH

Actually, the roseys like warmer temps as well compared to the comets. They also like to be kept in schools. Really not enough room in there for all the fish you are suggesting, even without the comets. Barbs can be nippy and somewhat aggressive too so a larger tank would be suggested for them.

Even rosy barbs should not be kept in a 15 gal. They get up to 5.5" and should be in a school. Comets get 23" long from what fishbase says and need cooler temps. Dwarf gouramis are suitable for a 15 gal, but the bigger ones need more space. 3 cories would be ok though.

OK, this is what it breaks down to:

a) You need a bigger tank to keep those comets for more than a few short weeks.

b) You need a heater for any of the tropical fishes (such as gouramis, barbs, etc).

c) Tropical fishes and goldfishes never mix well, so stop asking.

As before, I suggest (since you seem unsatisfied with just the comets) that you give/sell the comets, buy a heater (really, what is a mere $10), and get a few small tropical fish that you can be happy with.

Toirtis said:
OK, this is what it breaks down to:

a) You need a bigger tank to keep those comets for more than a few short weeks.

b) You need a heater for any of the tropical fishes (such as gouramis, barbs, etc).

c) Tropical fishes and goldfishes never mix well, so stop asking.

As before, I suggest (since you seem unsatisfied with just the comets) that you give/sell the comets, buy a heater (really, what is a mere $10), and get a few small tropical fish that you can be happy with.

I'm just agreeing with Toirtis. I think you will have more fun with your 15 gallon if you shell out the money for a small heater $5-$10 at walmart and get a dwarf gourami, some cory catfish, and maybe a school of tetras.

Back
Top Bottom