Graham's 5.5g planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Downoi requires at least glutaraldehyde dosing but loves co2. I've grown it without any dosing and it grows leggy and loses a lot of its curly leaf patterns.

Cha boi Jessie.

Thanks for the help. Just saw your response today somehow. I guess I'll pass on the downoi since it sounds like it even if it does survive it won't look too good.

Got a bag of riccia though. Gonna try gluing it down to a couple of rocks in the tank in hopes it'll give sort of a bush look. Anyone ever tried gluing it like this before?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Take a trip home to Cleveland and this is what I come back to..
1445400177162.jpg

Haha but on a positive note the tank leak made the rescape I wanted to do a lot easier
1445400246528.jpg1445400261009.jpg1445400274119.jpg

I just read this whole thread. How do have the good luck to keep ending up with leaking tanks? I've actually never had a leaker. In all honesty I like the very full jungle type planted tanks and I liked the first scape best. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just read this whole thread. How do have the good luck to keep ending up with leaking tanks? I've actually never had a leaker. In all honesty I like the very full jungle type planted tanks and I liked the first scape best. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wish I knew.. I never had a tank leak before either until I started this tank. Pretty unlucky but I guess these small tanks only have 90 day warrantys so maybe they're just not made that well?
The jungle look I had going I actually really liked but the cabomba, blyxa, and mess of a moss tree were debris magnets and let to constant algae. That along with catching wind of Monte carlo potentially being a carpet plant without CO2 basically made up my mind to switch. Haha this tank was supposed to be a nice 'relaxing' switch from my reef and anemone cube and it's been the biggest head ache so far!

Ya I was able to get them all out into a bucket while I got a new tank together. The next week or so I'm gonna try to keep a close eye so there's no ammonia spikes. Haha hopefully now the SIX assassin snails will be able to take care of those nuisance fellows. I made sure any I could see didn't go back into the tank. Also realized I have somewhere around 40 shrimp too.
So I guess not all was bad I guess as it allowed me to do some things that would have been a nightmare with a running tank. Got the monte carlo in last night as well all nice and trimmed. I'll post a pic in a bit

I've noticed the smaller the tank the worse the warranty. Do you know where yours leaked from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I wish I knew.. I never had a tank leak before either until I started this tank. Pretty unlucky but I guess these small tanks only have 90 day warrantys so maybe they're just not made that well?
The jungle look I had going I actually really liked but the cabomba, blyxa, and mess of a moss tree were debris magnets and let to constant algae. That along with catching wind of Monte carlo potentially being a carpet plant without CO2 basically made up my mind to switch. Haha this tank was supposed to be a nice 'relaxing' switch from my reef and anemone cube and it's been the biggest head ache so far!

I can testify to this lol. My planted tanks take so much more work than my reef does.

Caleb

I can testify to this lol. My planted tanks take so much more work than my reef does.

Caleb

Haha right? Salt tanks just need adequate lighting along with water changes along with some maintenance here and there while this planted tank is constant trimming and husbandry haha. Even without the 2 tank leaks it still takes the cake.

I've noticed the smaller the tank the worse the warranty. Do you know where yours leaked from?

The first was an aqueous that Leaked toward the top corner and the last one was a deep blue that leaked from a bottom corner.. Pretty crazy. Ya it's only 5 gallons but when you see all that water laying around the tank it feels as if it were 50 instead

Thanks for the help. Just saw your response today somehow. I guess I'll pass on the downoi since it sounds like it even if it does survive it won't look too good.

Got a bag of riccia though. Gonna try gluing it down to a couple of rocks in the tank in hopes it'll give sort of a bush look. Anyone ever tried gluing it like this before?

Take a look at Rastaman and his scapes in the planted section. He paints the moss in with yogurt or something and gets it going before flooding the tank. Might be something you feel like tinkering with.

The first was an aqueous that Leaked toward the top corner and the last one was a deep blue that leaked from a bottom corner.. Pretty crazy. Ya it's only 5 gallons but when you see all that water laying around the tank it feels as if it were 50 instead

Yeah especially if you are renting and it warps the floor. I'm very surprised those tanks leaked. Usually it's the Tetra brand I hear of leaking.

Take a look at Rastaman and his scapes in the planted section. He paints the moss in with yogurt or something and gets it going before flooding the tank. Might be something you feel like tinkering with.

I'm fairly certain that riccia merely tolerates being tied to a rock or driftwood, and does not actually attach to it like moss does.

So you'd have to tie it really well or put a hairnet over it.

I'm fairly certain that riccia merely tolerates being tied to a rock or driftwood, and does not actually attach to it like moss does.

So you'd have to tie it really well or put a hairnet over it.

Ya I gave it a go but wasn't too pleased with the look I got so I decided to pass.

Got things all back up and running. Banked up the substrate some in the corners which helped the layout a bunch I think. Also changed out the rock since the white became really unsightly when algae started to appear. Got the monte carlo back in also. The substrate mixed from having to move it to the new tank but once the monte carlo does its thing it won't really matter. Really happy with the turn out. Here's a few pics
1445637998632.jpg1445638009104.jpg1445638021463.jpg

Changed up the stock a bit! Took out the CPDs to get a more "uniform/sleek" look with the fish. Also removed the sumatran cobalt goby. Loved him but in this tank, his constant burrowing was uprooting the monte carlo before it could take root. Current stock is:
5 pygmy cories
6 ember tetras
2 Peruvian pencilfish as the main attraction

Would love to see pics of the pencilfish!

Bed time for the tank at the moment so I'll snap a few in the morning.. the red isn't quite there yet as they're new to the tank but nonetheless still a cool fish

Back
Top Bottom