Graham's 5.5g planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Liking the monte carlo a lot.. it's growing in my tank under medium light I'd say without CO2 so I'd think it would go pretty crazy with some CO2. Definitely a plant to check out.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sweet, thanks! Looking at this or some glosso for my 5.5, not sure how well the glosso would do though. Awesome tank graham, hard work pays off!

Sweet, thanks! Looking at this or some glosso for my 5.5, not sure how well the glosso would do though. Awesome tank graham, hard work pays off!

Thanks Nils.. my vote is for the monte carlo man. I just love the look.

Moss tree round 2..
1442859765117.jpg

Also did a little rescape with some rock. Just can't get happy with it. Any suggestions are highly appreciated at this point haha

Here it is..
1442862268801.jpg
1442862283918.jpg
1442862300892.jpg

Once again big over haul on the tank last night lol.. I decided to remove the cabomba and wendtii. Since I decided to redo the the moss tree, I wanted all the plants to be proportionate in size to the tree (probably not explaining this to well) so it stands out more/ has a more realistic look to it. Here's a few pics of the layout..
1442952087673.jpg
1442952106609.jpg
1442952124731.jpg
Still a bit unsatisfied with the rocks layout. Thinking I'm gonna get another bag of aqua soil to create the "sloped" substrate look to help with depth perception in the tank. Hoping this will help fix the look of the rock placement that I just can't seem to get right. Also gonna get some more anubias petite to put around some of the other larger rocks as i really like how it looks with the few pieces i had. As always, love hearing what you guys think about the plan I have now haha so I don't do ANOTHER overhaul on the tank for what seems like would be the 100th time

Tree looks good! I know what you mean with the proportions. Looks good though. Are you planning anything else or just leaving it as it is for a while? IMO the rocks look good as they are, but the extra bag of soil will help to create some depth. Go for it, I'm sure it will help.

Really like the tree a lot (y)

Thanks. Just waiting for it to grow in now. Hopefully it doesn't become the mess it did last time around. I tied the moss down with thread the time which should make a huge difference as last time I was very impatient since I had all my plants ready to go but forgot to get the string for the moss. Used rubber bands last time and boy did it back fire haha

Tree looks good! I know what you mean with the proportions. Looks good though. Are you planning anything else or just leaving it as it is for a while? IMO the rocks look good as they are, but the extra bag of soil will help to create some depth. Go for it, I'm sure it will help.

Appreciate it nils.. I'm pretty set with the plan I have at this point. Might change up the type of rock though to something darker since algae can become a real eye sore with the white rock. That's just a thought tho. The tree will be the focal point with a monte carlo carpet and anubias petite around/within some of the larger rocks and rock piles. Just gotta get some more substrate and anubias and I should be set. Just a matter of PATIENCE letting the plants fill in then. Haha you'd think mainly being a reefer I would have patience with growth but it's just not in blood..

Really like the tree a lot (y)

TheresaM, did you end up deciding to try the goby? Mines still doing great and getting more outgoing each day. Probably my favorite fish to watch in the tank as he's got a ton of personality.

TheresaM, did you end up deciding to try the goby? Mines still doing great and getting more outgoing each day. Probably my favorite fish to watch in the tank as he's got a ton of personality.
Not yet unfortunately. I posted recently about being unhappy with my 5g and think a winter project will be to pretty much break down the tank and start over. And of course add a goby!

Does the goby bother your shrimp?

Not yet unfortunately. I posted recently about being unhappy with my 5g and think a winter project will be to pretty much break down the tank and start over. And of course add a goby!

Does the goby bother your shrimp?

Always fun starting fresh.. and as far as I can tell the goby never caused any problems.. my cherries recently had baby's which have grown some so I assume he's not much of a threat

Always fun starting fresh.. and as far as I can tell the goby never caused any problems.. my cherries recently had baby's which have grown some so I assume he's not much of a threat
Oh thanks, that's good to know. As far as stock the goby is the only thing I'm sure I want to have.

So I've struggled with nuisance snails in the tank for a while now.. I have 3 assassin snails and every 5 days when I do an h20 change I suck out as many as I can but I swear there's always close to 100 the next time I go to do the next h20 change.. Think I just need to add some more assassin snails? Or is there a better way to go about this?

So I've struggled with nuisance snails in the tank for a while now.. I have 3 assassin snails and every 5 days when I do an h20 change I suck out as many as I can but I swear there's always close to 100 the next time I go to do the next h20 change.. Think I just need to add some more assassin snails? Or is there a better way to go about this?
I have them in my Endlers tank and just remove them by had but obviously you're getting a lot more. I always heard assassins took care of the problem but I also don't have experience with them. Hopefully someone else following can help.

I have them in my Endlers tank and just remove them by had but obviously you're getting a lot more. I always heard assassins took care of the problem but I also don't have experience with them. Hopefully someone else following can help.

Ya I've had the problem before in other tanks where manual removal with some assassin's did great but this nano is crazy! Haha it's almost like my assassin's decided to go vegetarian on me. I thought 3 assassin's would be more then enough in a 5 gal but who knows. Maybe because the population gets so large I need a few to reduce the crazy exponential growth that is occuring?

Been checking out some other plants to got with the anubias petite in the tank. Thinking about maybe a smaller buce or possibly downoi. I've never kept either so I'm wondering if CO2 is a must to keep them alive. Mainly the downoi as I'm leaning towards giving that a try

Been checking out some other plants to got with the anubias petite in the tank. Thinking about maybe a smaller buce or possibly downoi. I've never kept either so I'm wondering if CO2 is a must to keep them alive. Mainly the downoi as I'm leaning towards giving that a try
There was a really helpful thread about buces started not too long ago. Will see if I can find it.

Edit: thread located here

Downoi requires at least glutaraldehyde dosing but loves co2. I've grown it without any dosing and it grows leggy and loses a lot of its curly leaf patterns.

Cha boi Jessie.

Back
Top Bottom