Grass as background?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenyJenz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i was thinking of planting dwarf grass or similar along the back of my tank to create a grass background. Do you think this will work? Is it okay to plant plants so close? Is there a better plant to achieve same effect? My substrate is black sand in a FW tank.

Thanks,

~JenyJenz

I got a 75 gal...i think 48inches across to fill with grass

Yeah thats big for dwarf hairgrass. It grows rather slow. I've had mine for about a month or so and it just now started growing tiny runners. And one small pot was $5 or $6.

Are you set on a grass type or you just want a background plant?

Eleocharis vivipara.

Eleocharis%20vivipara.jpg

eleocharis_vivipara.jpg

meander.jpg

Hairgrass is a slow starter. It sometimes takes several months to settle in before beginning to multiple like mad. It's fairly well known as one of the faster growing foregrounds.

Most hairgrasses will require strong light, good ferts, and good CO2.

Eleocharis vivipara.

Eleocharis%20vivipara.jpg

eleocharis_vivipara.jpg

meander.jpg

Hairgrass is a slow starter. It sometimes takes several months to settle in before beginning to multiple like mad. It's fairly well known as one of the faster growing foregrounds.

Most hairgrasses will require strong light, good ferts, and good CO2.

wow is that dwarf or a different kind?

Eleocharis vivipara. Dwarf hairgrass is eleocharis parvula. There is also eleocharis acicularis, which grows to about 6" or so. Eleocharis 'belem' is also becoming popular, which is somewhat shorter than DHG.

aqua_chem said:
Eleocharis vivipara. Dwarf hairgrass is eleocharis parvula. There is also eleocharis acicularis, which grows to about 6" or so. Eleocharis 'belem' is also becoming popular, which is somewhat shorter than DHG.

Love the pics....great inspiration. Looking for shorter though

I was looking for about 6-8 inches. I still want my background (the one stuck on tank) visible so it looks line grass on bottom and the background on top, behind it.

Back
Top Bottom