gravel or sand???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strokinbyeu

Aquarium Advice Freak
im setting up a 75gal tank (big jump from my 20gal) iv always had gravel in my tank but i bought a banjo cat a few months ago and they like to burro in the media, but he cant in the gravel. what im asking is will i be able to use a gravel vac with sand or no? i realy like the gravel vac and want to continue using it. any info would be great

Apparently yes, but it's a bit more tricky. I'm currently in a quandry on the same subject. I've thought of sand but it can cause problems getting clogged in the filter etc?

Sand all the way. You do have to take some precautions to protect the filter, but I'll never go back to gravel. My catfish love the sand too.

I have 2 75 gallons and a 20L and have PFS in all three. When you do the PWC's you can't stick the gravel vac all the way in or it will suck up the gravel and put it down your drain. You'll get the hang of it after a short period. Also, when you are filling the tank, i make sure I keep the filter off so that if sand is stirred up it isn't sucked up into the filter. Once it is settled, there is no issue and plug it back in. Really, this is only an issue with my 20L because I usually use the bucket method. With the python, it is a non issue because it doesn't stir the sand as bad. So in conclusion, my vote is sand all the way and then the fish can play in it easier.

well i thank you all for your advice. im prob going tomro to get the sand and a glass top and then i should be able to start getting things moved into place and get it filled up to start geting things to work if i can figur out how to post a pic ill put one up after i get it set up and fish in it thanks again

pool filter sand is by far the best substrate ever. it is heavy enough that a filter wont suck it up (unless you have the intake against the sand), course enough that it doesnt build up gas pockets, as easy to vac as gravel, and just overall looks more naturalbetter than gravel... imo of course

I got my pfs at leslies pool supplies. I also found out that my bala sharks, bolivian rams and cichlids all sift the sand through their gills. Big surprise on the balas. I had no idea. All of my fish love the pool filter sand. You wont be sorry. Just rinse it before putting it in the tank.

<--- sand all the way.

We have sand in 3 tanks now and I love it. I even have plans to sand a 4th tank once all the inhabitants go to the great fish pond in the sky. And might be changing over a 5th (once I'm completely bored with the gravel, which is rapidly approaching)

Honestly, I have no problems cleaning our sand tanks. I skim off the top of the sand with the python, reach in and stir things up, then skim again. But it also depends on what type of sand you go for. PFS is easier to clean than black onyx.

again i would like to thank everybody that talked me in to sand i love it and the tank looks great i ended up going with a ciclid sand that is light tan and black i came in bags and was in water i mixed in about 25% natural tank sand to help save some $$ my banjo loves hiding under the sand and i like that any extra food that makes it to the bottom sets there for clean up here r some pics i took still gota do some more withthe decor but gota think on it a lil bit what i wana do

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 69
Well after much putting it off. I finally took the plunge. The white gravel I had in there was starting to look disgusting, and my other half agreed that changing it was the way to go.

The whole process took about an hour, and was relatively straight forward, we kept the fish in a bucket, with the filter running while we did the work, but they seemed ok!

The most difficult part was, even after taking out all the ornaments and draining the tank to around 1/4 full, the fish were still a right bugger to catch! Especially the Rummy Noses, they are very fast!

Just got some normal beach coloured sand, when first putting it in, it looked like a dark brown sloppy mess, and I'd wondered what I'd done, but after the water de-clouded (which took about 5 hours) and I put the lights on it all looks beautiful now!

My concern now is how to keep it clean when it inevitably gets dirty again, I'd imagine it's very easy to suck up most of the sand while trying to clean the poop off it!

I'm going to leave things for a couple of weeks to let them settle down, then get a couple of Cory catfish.

If the sand is heavy enough, like pool filter sand, then it's actually really easy to clean! :) I can stick the end of the vacuum all the way to the bottom of the tank. The "Python" is a different story though. With that, I just wave it over the surface of the sand, and the debris will swirl up and get sucked up into the hose.

I've recently changed to sand. I prefer it 100 to 1, much cleaner than the gravel. Food particles and waste don't get stuck, the movement of the fish around the bottom keep it stirred enough to allow the filter to do it's work.

I feel your pain on some fish being hard to catch. I actually have two small pictus catfish that I can only catch once the water is basically gone. I have to get those guys with a cup or something because the last time I netted them one of them got their stinger thing trapped in the net. I had to cut him out and he had a piece of net stuck to him for a couple weeks.

My balas tho can be easy sometimes. Last time I moved them one of em freaked out and jumped up out of the water and landed in a cup I had in my hand. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom