Gravel or sand????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd swear yours isn't cloudy, ie fix with chemicals or filter, but with those readings could be a bacterial bloom or mini cycle

This thread really helped me understand how to do everything for my future gravel to sand switchover

My suggestion. Do it without any fish in the tank because you will have to recycle your tank.

It is a lot easier to do it without fish but I've changed substrates on many tanks with fish without an issue

If you have to then yea. I killed all my BB when I did it.

How long was your tank running before you did the change?

I just kept my filter media and all decor wet and never had any issue. Done it myself for 4 tanks and at least a dozen or friends

How long was your tank running before you did the change?

I just kept my filter media and all decor wet and never had any issue. Done it myself for 4 tanks and at least a dozen or friends

When I took all the gravel out I took all the decor out and the media dried up because I left it in the filter with no water.... It was up for 3 weeks before I changed it

Updated with some slate

Attachments

• image-2009761098.jpg
    image-2009761098.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 54
i prefer sand, mainly cause of the fish i keep Cichlids! sand is more natural and is good for bottom feeder cichlids and live plants. most gravels are died and are unnatural causing dies to go into the water, i dont like sand because the siphon can pick up the sand and carry it and plecos poop stay on it but it provides natural looks to any aquarium

If your doing cichlids then I definitely say to go with sand. It's more beneficial for your tank and you have more surface area so that will make it much easier to clean than gravel.

If your doing cichlids then I definitely say to go with sand. It's more beneficial for your tank and you have more surface area so that will make it much easier to clean than gravel.

Yep. That's what I did :)

Attachments

• image-2727887031.jpg
    image-2727887031.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 43
hey i'm a newbie, struggling to start a new discussion, can anyone help me, i'm not sure where to go as I cant remember how I did it before! HELP!

hey i'm a newbie, struggling to start a new discussion, can anyone help me, i'm not sure where to go as I cant remember how I did it before! HELP!

Are you using the website or the app? What's your question? what are you having problems with?

Back
Top Bottom