gravel, sand, flourite..or all?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm building a 10g setup, and I already have a gravel tank and a sand tank (natural color, pfs). I would love to do something different, and I want it planted with mixed substrate. I'm not familiar with flourite, and if I mix it with some gravel, how would I clean it without vacuuming it up? I've read that with planted tanks vacuuming is not always necessary. True?
Also, I have the hood with 2 lights that screw in. What do I need?
I bought an AC20 and an Aqueon Pro 50 heater and I've already painted the back black.
Any advice would be appreciated:)!

If you read some of my posts you can see my tanks.

I've used blasting sand in one,
Flourite sand capped with Tahitian Moon Sand in my main tank
And Aqua Soil only in my new 5.5

I don't vacuum my planted tanks !!! I'd lose all my sand and ruin my plants.

My gravel only planted tank I gravel vac hardly at all.

The problem with mixed substrates is they usually settle out and the finer grains end up on the bottom. Not saying you cannot mix substrate. Just keep it in mind.

Plant heavily, stock lightly at first and the tank should be fine. Use root tabs for heavy root feeders like Swords.

I love my Crypts. I use low light and little ferts.

As far as your lights I use 2 u-shaped 13w Compact Fluorescents and my tank is thriving. They are about 5500k
Mine are made by Marineland. Got them at Petsmart. If you go higher wattage you may have to upgrade your ballast.

My club members were over Saturday and commented on my crystal clear water. I have 10g heavily planted

Thanks for the info:)!

I wonder if the U lights are cheaper @ Walmart or Lowe's.

So I don't have to worry about a C02 outfit? I really don't want to go that route at this point.

Reygan2 said:
Thanks for the info:)!

I wonder if the U lights are cheaper @ Walmart or Lowe's.

So I don't have to worry about a C02 outfit? I really don't want to go that route at this point.

As long as you go low light you should be fine without CO2.

What is a recommended type of fert? Would I need one if I just stick with the basics like hornwort, java fern, anubias or wisteria?

Reygan2 said:
What is a recommended type of fert? Would I need one if I just stick with the basics like hornwort, java fern, anubias or wisteria?

I just use a basic liquid Leaf Zone for now and have root tabs for Swords or Crypts. I have liquid CO2 but rarely use it. My plants get Shrimp and fish poop also :)

You can see some of my tanks in my profile pics.

I like to make a suggestion. Substrate are great. Depending on the type of fish your having your choice of color of substrate will make a big impact. Go for eco-complete if you can then flourish .

Lets say you want white fish. Go for a dark natural substrate.

You have many tanks and that start to be expensive. If you don't have sensible fish, go for EI, or if you have shrimps go for pps-pro. I prefer pps-pro because its very low costs efficient. They are dry fertilizer, good for years.

Back
Top Bottom