Green algue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, Can anybody help me with the green algue problem It is a new tank but it's a 4ft one and takes a long to clean it off. Is there anything I can buy to do the job.:D

Hi David, the water readings are Ph 8.1 nitrate 0.5 ammonia Kh 150 0. No skimmer as yet. 2 fish 1blue damsel 1 mandarin dragonet 1 hermit crab 2 snails and coral. 2x 39 t5and fluval 305 live rock in the filter and some live rock in the Tank. The tank is not near any sun light. Thanks Jed

Lights on 10 hours a day for coral

have you cycled your tank,if so how.
ammonia should be 0.check for nitrites as well.also your nitrate is 0.5? or do you mean 5
any pics

Sorry but I'm new to this what do you mean by cycled my tank.The water was R o water from swallows shop. It shows no ammonia as yet and the nitrate is below 5. Can show pics later as my partner knows how to put them on here.

basically you must cycle your tank before adding fish,this can take up to 6 weeks.you need benificial bacteria in your tank.this is done by adding ammonia to your tank to start the cycle,either by ading pure ammonia or just add a fresh dead shrimp,the shrimp will rot away within a few days and this will raise your ammonia,keep testing for this and you will notice the reading dropping and nitrite raising,again keep testing daily until ammonia is 0 and nitrite is 0, you will then find your nitrate raising,at this point your tank is nearly cycled and just needs a few PWC(part water change) to get nitrate as low as poss,you can then add a fish,don't add too many at once as this will over load your tank

Who recommended the mandarin dragonet? That fish should go back to the store that you bought it from. You should take the other fish as well. Read up on cycling your tank and go from there.

It would appear you are cycling the tank with fish, is that correct?
I saw another post that you are buying pods for the mandarin. That's sure way to go broke unless you can get the mandarin to eat prepared food or upgrade to a larger tank.

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine and another

Refugiums

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

When posting water parameters please post one parameter per line so we can understand them better.

The standard list of questions on a request for help goes something like this.

What size is your tank?
How old is your tank (setup when)?
How did you cycle your tank and when?
What has changed in your tank (new livestock, additives, partial water change, etc.)
How much LR, a/o LS is in the tank?
Was the LR cured ? (when)
What inhabitants do you have ?
What filter(s) are you running ?
What Power Heads are you running?
Hhow are you making you salt water for PWCs?
What kind of H20 are you using ? Distilled , tap , RO/DI ?
Are you using any additives?
What are your water parameters ?
PH
Temp
Ammonia
NitrIte
NItrAte
Calcium
Alk
Magnesium
SG (Specific Gravity / Salinity)
Measured with a refactometer or hydrometer (swing arm?)

Back
Top Bottom