green/black algea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FloridaNewbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey guys, i had mention a couple of weeks back that my girlfriend also has a small 10gal sw fish tank, she had it for about 2 months now and just got over a diaton problem. Now she said that on a small are of her sand, there is like a darkgreen/black slime. it is very small area, wonder what it could be. Also one of her 2 snails died, could that be a problem?

I don't think its cyano.

Thanks again
Leo

Ahh, the wonders of Cyanobacteria. ;) It can be every color of the rainbow and take on many forms. A green/black slime on your sandbed is definitley a cyanobacteria problem. Therefore, it could be many things fueling it.

How much/often does she feed? Light cycle? Skim? RO/DI, or tap water? How much flow is in the tank?

Cyano loves high nutrient, low flow areas (aka: most of our sandbeds). Increasing flow, manual removal, and more frequent water changes/reduced feeding will help your cause.

HTH

In my experience, pointing a ph at the spot doesn't work. I had a maxi-jet 1200 pointing directly at a spot on a rock and it didn't do much. The siphon will work wonders. I DO believe adding phs for more water movement, along with the article mel posted, will help tremendously.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom