green chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have two green chromis in my tank, and one of them seems to be developing some sort of fleshy growth where one of his pectoral fins meets his body. seems to be inhibiting use of that fin, but he is not having obvious trouble swimming. he looks all around raggedy, but is acting normal. i recently had some problems with ammonia, i think this might be to blame? anybody know what this growth could be, and how i could treat it? sorry i don't have a picture - i couldn't get a clear one of him.

Ammonia can definately be a factor as with any higher nitrogen readings. If the area is not red/enflamed (?), you might get away with not treating as long as you get the water quality inline. The other concern is if the nitrogens are not the cause (a catylist perhaps), you will need to watch and observe carefully for other symptoms. Cloudy eye, scales missing/on end, excess body mucus, heavy gilling and so on.

Do several large water changes over the next 7-10 days with well aged/aerated SW. You need to be sure the nitrogens are as low as possible and the DOC fueling the bacterial issue is diluted as much as possible. Soak foods fed in a good liquid vitamin high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] before feeding (preferabley overnight) to aid in improving the fish's natural immune response. If the area is red/necrotic, you should transfer the fish to a QT immediately and treat with a gram negative antibiotic. Lowering the salinity to hypo conditions will also help in the healing process. Both must be done in a QT only though.

Where these fish QT'd prior to placing in your main tank? If in the main, how old is the set up and do you actually have a QT?

Please post the actual numbers for your tank/QT...

Cheers
Steve

Steve - thanks for the reply - I'm starting to wonder about my ammonia readings now. I was testing using the "marine lab" kit which was giving me about .25, but was also giving me roughly that for my RO/DI water. Bought a salifert kit, and low and behold ammonia is 0 (could of gone down though i suppose). Hermits seem to be more active now, could this be a sign of improving water conditions? brown algae started to pick up in areas, so I suspected nitrates. Tested with my marine lab kit and got 0, should I retest? serpent star, polyps and leather, cleaner shrimp, other chromis are seem to be very healthy. No sign of red inflammation yet, a couple of his scales seem to be missing/ragged, this happened at the same time as the growth, no other obvious symptons. He doesn't seem to be getting any worse, anyway. I've done one 15 g and two 5 g water changes lately (55 g tank), should I just give it time and monitor?
i do not have a QT, although this chromis was purchased from a trusted local marine aquarium specialty store, and these fish had been in shop and very healthy for quite some time. The tank is 2 months old now (5 weeks post cycling). Unless my tests are faulty, numbers are ammonia 0, nitrate 0, ph 8.5, temp 76-80. I am starting to think the tank is on the rebound, but then again I am obviously new to this.

If you were getting an ammonia reading from the RO with a porper DI resin as the last stage, the test kit was definately in error. Does it have carbon pre-filters as well? Quite common actually with Red Sea kits.

Your numbers seem fine (nitrite?) but still proceed with the water changes over the next 7-10 days. Even though the tests came out good, it is not an indication of DOC in the water which is the primary fuel source for opportunistic bacteria.

The severity of the afliction and rate of healing (if any) will dictate your actions. If it's starts to get better, keep at the increased water changes and fortified vitamin feedings. If not, a QT will be in order. Pay special attention to how the "school" treats the ill fish. Chromis are notorious for picking on the week member of the group.

Cheers
Steve

thanks again steve - i'll keep an eye on the sick fish. any recommendations for vitamins? what type of food takes best to the soaking process? i'm using primarily frozen brine shrimp, which doesn't seem like it'd soak too well.

Primarily for food I would recommend blender mush (search the forum for recipes) or a mixed frozen preparation like Ocean Nutrition. Barring that, try mysis. As for a vitamin, I recommend Selcon primarily but Zoecon is also fine. If this had been in a QT I would also recommend the use of Stresscoat (Seachem) or Pro-Tech Coat Marine (Kent). If either are available to you, just be sure to discontinue skimmer use for a few days. Water changes in that case would definately need to be stepped up.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom