Green hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambo64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had a small problem with green hair algae. I have brushed and scraped it off of my rocks and it continues to return. I was wondering if there is a way to completely get rid of it or is there an animal out there that you have had good experience with getting rid of it. Thanks

How long has your tank been set up? Water quality and a good cleanup crew are the most effective answers. If it has taken over, get ready for a LOT of water changes!

My tank has been setup for over a year now. I have had a problem with it for a coule of months now. It continues to grow in the same spots even after I brush it all off. Off he top of my head I don't know my exact water parameters but I did just have it tested and the numbers were all very good. I have been doing water changes every week for the past month. I think I will just have to get a bigger cleaning crew.

I would get the specifics on your water chemistry, you may want to look at replacing your bulbs. How old are they?

The lights I have are brand new. I do have a metal halide 150 watt setup. I will get the specific water chemistry soon. I have about 8-10 crabs, 1 coral banded shrimp, 2 emerald crabs, 10 nassarius snails, 1 brittle sea star, down to about 5 assorted snails due to theire suicidal tendancy :roll: .

The main thing is to find the fuel factor. Something is feeding it. Most likely it is phosphates or nitrates. Test for this in your tank and then also test your PWC water and top off water to see if you are adding it to your tank. Read those links esp the 10 point one.

Back
Top Bottom