green hairlike algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkilgore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just completing my cycle on a 220g, I have 2 green chromis and I am developing a lot of green hairlike algae on my live rock is this normal? My ammonia test good and my nitrite is slightly elevated, but it continues to go down. Any suggestions?

How much light is on the tank, and what are the nitrates and phosphates? Did you initially fill this tank with tap water?

I do not know what the phosphates or nitrates are at, I have just the dual strip lights with 1 10,000k and 1 actinic blue in each. And yes I used filtered tap water and used Amquel chlorine remover

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread until now
depresse.gif
, The hair algae is being fueled by the nutrients in the tap water. I would recommend manual removal of as much as possible, using a bottle brush twirling it in the hairs, using a toothbrush (bought for this purpose) to scrub as much off as possible. Remove as much from the tank as possible. You should invest in an RO/DI filter which will remove nutrients like nitrate and phosphate (added to water supplies to combat lead piping in older houses) before they get in the tank. I would recommend turning your lights off for a week and running them for no more than a few hours a day, until the nutrient problem is resolved. I would also recommend a protien skimmer for your tank, your gonna need a pretty big one for a 220g tank, you might consider a downdraft. Once the nitrite and ammonia are 0, you should do a large water change using RO/DI water and you can add a clean up crew to help with the hair algae, some blueleg hermits and an assortment of herbivorous snails. Hopefully others will jump in with some other suggestions as well.

I do have a protein skimmer which was turned off during cycling at the advise of the LFS. I bought today a sally lightfoot crab, emerald crabs, and blue legges hermits. Would the introduction of some tangs also help control the algae? Does algae pose a threat to the live rock and the overall health of the tank? Would a DSB help remove the nitrate and phosphates?
Thanks.

The DSB would help the phostphates, and just about everything else. I dont know if buying a fish would help, but then again tangs would eat some of that stuff.

A DSB will reduce nitrate, but will do nothing for the phosphate. You should not add any fish until your ammonia and nitrite are 0.

Back
Top Bottom