Green long hair algae out of control!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hackteck said:
lol i need to knock the cobwebs off mine actually havent played it in a few weeks

Hit me up (plumbum187) that's if they have ps3 in heaven lmao Later

My lawnmower ate through all the algae and now eats everything I feed the tank. I also put out algae strips like cody.

My lawnmower has started eating clams and shrimp now. I'm actually kinda worried cause he's a herbivore I believe. LOL

I agree with finding the source of the problem first. It would be easier to get a blenny and have it eat all the algae, but what happens after that? If the algae is keeping your phosphates and nitrates in check, what happens when there is little to no algae left to consume it? Just something else to think about :) (btw 2012 has already been disproved, the math was wrong. From the sounds of saturday I'm thinking the math is off on that as well)

Believe it or not, there are fewer "true" herbivores and carnivores out there than we are taught to know. Usually the term just refers to the main source of food a creature eats.

I agree with the above statement, you need to treat the source, not the symptom. Adding a blenny will get rid of the algae, but not the source.

But it will help with the problem. And once all the algae is gone u will get a better reading of what's causing it.

If it's eating all the algae then it will be much harder to tell if you're getting rid of the source. You need some source of feedback to know if you're having an affect on the problem. I'm not saying do, or do not get one. I'm only trying to show another side of the coin. :)

The algae can also take up the nutrients and cause blank readings if there is to much of it.

Yep, that's what I was referring to in my first post. But rather than spend money right away, the time could be taken to test the water used for the tank, review feeding habits, etc. If you find the source of the problem first and get rid of it, then take some time on a weekend to clear all the algae out, that's money saved or money that was towards fixing the problem. I'm not against buying a blenny, my only concern is after the blenny eats everything you're still left with the original problem and a new fish to feed. And money that was spent on the fish could have been used towards fixing the problem.

Still fighting green long hair algae, phosphate 0.25 ammonia 0.25 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ph 8.4 salinity 1.025 don't know what else to do I've tried everyones advise thinking about using some kind of algae gone got a uv light seems to make the water super clear but don't think it's helping algae vodka dose?

Attachments

• image-3776021641.jpg
    image-3776021641.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 176
You have ammonia so I only assume you overfeed. Add more carbon, GFO if you so choose, do PWC more often and feed only what your fish can eat in several minutes.

Go pick up a phosban reactor, the optional plastic screens, (don't use the black sponges), a rio 800 pump, 6 feet of clear 1/2 tubing (you'll probably need less, but just so you don't have to make two trips), a 1/2 inch valve for flow control to the reactor, plastic hose clamps, and last and most important "Two Little Fishes" NPX Bioplastics. In no time you will have an almost out of control supply of bacteria that consume nitrate and phosphate. They will easily out compete the hair algae and it will be gone in no time. I guarantee it will work, I've seen it with my own eyes. My brother fought hair algae forever, he tried every critter, constant water changes, everyone's ideas, but nothing worked. These bio plastics are insane, they are very potent. My only advice is follow the directions on the package, keep your water flow as slow a possible in the reactor, and use only 1/3 of the recommended amount of bio-plastics. They are just so potent. After a couple of days your water will be slightly cloudy (bacteria bloom) and you'll know they're starting to work. Then once the hair algae is gone, you will need to be sure to feed less. To the other question of the uv, it won't get rid of hair algae. Don't do Vodka either. Same idea as bio plastics, but there's other stuff in it to. The bio plastics are a controlled way to add pure carbon. Amazing stuff, but don't use to much or you'll be pulling a bunch out like i did.........because of a bacteria bloom that wouldn't go away. After removing some and only using a third of the recommended amount, bloom is gone. Last be sure to keep skimming, all those bacteria will use up alot of oxygen.

From a different perspective.
God Dam I'd really like to get some of this growing in my tank specifically for a lawnmower so I can watch it graze naturally.
I can't get the stuff to grow.

Put the tank near the window so sun can get in there and over feed your tank, keep your lights on all night and day, and don't do any water changes, oh, and decrease your flow ALOT. Have fun with your green algae.

My L.M. Blenny barely touches the stuff. On the other hand my Kole Eye Tang cleaned out
My entire tank of long hair algae in two days.

Codyheitmiller said:
Put the tank near the window so sun can get in there and over feed your tank, keep your lights on all night and day, and don't do any water changes, oh, and decrease your flow ALOT. Have fun with your green algae.

Wouldn't believe it but my tank gets hit by about 20 mins of sun light a day.
Still can't grow nuisance algae.
Extended lights for 12 on 12 off. My corals growing extremely well.
Got a Ton of corraline to.

Back
Top Bottom