Green spotted puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machotaco

Aquarium Advice Freak
Figure 8... Not GSP oops
Hi everyone! I'm thinking of getting a 20 gal tank for one f8 puffer (2 if possible) but I have some questions

What's the max size?
Diet?
Water parameters (PH,GH, KH, salinity)
Other general care rules
Also what substrate, although I'm thinking sand
And finally will he/she like a planted tank

Thx

I have a figure 8 in a 20 long and he's one of my favorite fish. It requires low level brackish water at approximately 1.003-1.005. You'll want to get an aragonite sand substrate to buffer the hardness of the water because the low level brackish water can cause the pH to fluctuate too much. You also need to breed pest snails for them to eat. I would only put 1 in a 20 gallon myself. They grow to be about 3 inches and can live up to 15 years.

Now for teeth maintenance how do I do this and if I feed snails as a staple will any work be necessary?

When they chip away the snails shell with their teeth it will keep them filed so you won't have to do anything besides feed them the snails.

A few more question for now, what would and ideal feeding schedule for the average week look like, also any difference between quantity and size if food between juvenile and adult.

And would a 3" fish get lost in a 20 gal? Or would he rule over the entire tank.

Also aside from java fern and moss, and hygrophylia, what are some other good brackish plants.

My figure 8 definitely makes use of the entire tank. However, when I'm watching the tank he stays towards the front because he thinks it's time to eat. This led me to believe that he wasn't exploring his surroundings at first.

I feed mine 1 time a day. I've tried a variety of frozen foods, but the only thing it will eat on a consistent basis are frozen bloodworms. I feed it enough bloodworms to round out its stomach. It's very noticeable. They are easy to overfeed as they will try to eat everything you give them.

I don't have any plants in the brackish water so I can't really say which ones might do well. I do understand there is a bit of difficulty involved in having plants in brackish water.

I picked up one of these to help measure the salinity of the water.

http://www.amazon.com/Refractometer...&qid=1397561922&sr=8-1&keywords=refractometer

I would not recommend getting a hydrometer. You might get lucky and find one that works, but for the most part they are cheap and inaccurate. The refractometer I got from amazon works very well.

Back
Top Bottom