Green star polyp trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flipping minow

Aquarium Advice Regular
My gsp's have been closed for two days, and appear to have a film over them. Is this normal or should I move them to less or more flow?

Or is this something else?

GSP can be funny sometimes. Sounds like it is just going through a phase...the will sloth off and come back. Keep an eye on them and make sure you have good flow.

Should I raise them closer to the flow to help them out? Everything else in my tank is going wild.

Turbo snails would cause them to close would they?

Anything that crawls over them can cause them to close. I would leave them alone just make sure they are getting flow.

What would make the GSP stay closed, and my frogspawn/dragon eyes zoos/Xenia/button zoos thrive?

I am baffled. My levels are good to

Something picking at them would or if they weren't getting enough flow, like stated above. I have a blue symphodium and gsp in my tank. The symphodium has a decent flow and is open and doing well. The GSP originally didn't have a god flow and never opened up. I have moved it into more flow and it has started to open up.

The first bit of GSP I got took weeks to open up and when they did I was a battle keeping them from growing over everything in the tank. Give them time.

I did a 30% pwc lat night. It has been since I put in a 850gph power head. Stupid me I always hear high flow maybe this is to much to have directly on them! Right? They are 6 inches from the powerhead.

Most corals with a somewhat longer polyp(GSP's included) don't want to be blasted with flow. Medium at most, and not linear( straight at it), and not constant( unless it is a constant undulation). Flow should be broken and random.
This would definitely be a reason that your GSP's aren't open. Try moving th pump around

Alright so I moved the power heads, and the good news is zoos that have been shut for a week now are open. They are loving the flow. The gsp's I am moving to low flow since that is my last shot. Things are growing wild in my tank. My frogspawn has 5 new branches growing in three weeks. My Xenia was a frag that has doubles in a month. Dragon eye zoos are almost a weed.

We'll see how the gsp's do

Just a follow up. I move the GSP to low flow medium light, and after three weeks of being closed they are opening.

Do corals close often like this?

No they don't. Usually a closed coral means it is unhappy in some way. Incorrect flow
Incorrect light
Incorrect water parameters
Or being bothered by one of its tank mates
Some corals like Leathers shrivel up, as part of their normal process, called "shedding", even with good care. I've got a Staghorn Leather and a Finger Leather that have stayed all gnarly for over a month, and came right back. I've had both for over 6 years, and every so often they flatten down. One will be big and proud while the other is flat. Same placement same everything.
Leathers seem to be the only ones though, If another type of coral is closed, there is usually something, causing it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom