Green terror and oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do you think an Oscar and green terror will be compatible long term in a 180 gallon tank (72x24) Any success or failure stories?

They would be housed with a few other medium sized less aggressive cichlids.

I have a gt and a red devil and my gt bosses him around idk about an Oscar GTs r more aggrieve but u have a big tank so u might be ok ?

given enough DW or smooth decoration to not harm them but divides territories, they should be ok. but its all down to the individuals. if they are in personality nasty, then you wont have much luck. if you get nice personalities, happy tank. simples.

though how big are these medium sized fish and what are they? x

the tetras i dont know if they will work.
the firemouths should be ok if they are given space.
the pike sounds wicked! provided aggression doesnt unsettle the tank.

id love to see how they are mixed in :)

the tetras i dont know if they will work.
the firemouths should be ok if they are given space.
the pike sounds wicked! provided aggression doesnt unsettle the tank.

id love to see how they are mixed in :)

I'm hoping the tetras work. They were specifically recommended as a dither fish for oscars, so I hope it works out.

The pike is pretty tame so far, but he's only about 3 inches. If he gets too out of line, I'll have to get rid of him or re-home him to another tank in the house. I'm not expecting any problems from the firemouths.

From everything I have read, Buenos aires tetras are widely regarded as a good dither fish for large SA cichlids like oscars. As long as you don't buy them too small, where they easily fit in the oscars mouth.

Have you ever kept dither fish before? Or seen a problem with BA tetras and oscars?

5x5 said:
From everything I have read, Buenos aires tetras are widely regarded as a good dither fish for large SA cichlids like oscars. As long as you don't buy them too small, where they easily fit in the oscars mouth.

Have you ever kept dither fish before? Or seen a problem with BA tetras and oscars?

Iv heard of 3" oscars eating adult mollies-sooner or later those tetras will be gone IMO.

Its a bummer, but its their nature!

I've never kept tetras and oscars. But my 8 inch Oscar has eaten my 8 inch wether loach and my 6 inch bala shark. :(

i had an oscar & green terror in my 55gal & had to rehome my terror when they got bigger & would spend the whole day fighting over territory .. they were friends up until one day then they just snapped .. not a lot of damage but a lot of mouthing each other, to the point where there was no peace ... ever lol

i wouldnt try it again unless i had a minimum 75-90gallon tank

just my experience

I keep oscars and green terrors with peace and quiet,but i agree with the ealier comment about individual temperments,my guys are in a 180gal and i have it set up with lots of territories and a few other large fish,that way nobody gets centered out and picked on

I keep oscars and green terrors with peace and quiet,but i agree with the ealier comment about individual temperments,my guys are in a 180gal and i have it set up with lots of territories and a few other large fish,that way nobody gets centered out and picked on

MegaCichlid - What other tank mates do you have with the Oscar and GT?

A 12" jaguar, 7" peacock bass,a 8" jaguar,a 7" parrot,a12" sail fin pleco and a 6" sail fin pleco.i have broken my tank up into territories where they cant see each other,i had an early issue between my large jag and large oscar,i put a plexi glass divider in for a week and have had no issues in months

Megacichlid said:
A 12" jaguar, 7" peacock bass,a 8" jaguar,a 7" parrot,a12" sail fin pleco and a 6" sail fin pleco.i have broken my tank up into territories where they cant see each other,i had an early issue between my large jag and large oscar,i put a plexi glass divider in for a week and have had no issues in months

Awesome lets see some pics of this!:)

Megacichlid said:
This went on with a divider for a few days;)
Eventually they gave up and i pulled it out

Hahaha!!! Thats awesome! Those boys are bigg

Back
Top Bottom