Green water help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fredyyanez

Aquarium Advice Regular
My water is not as clear as it should be...what should I do... Or what chemical should I use

Attachments

• image-4043899460.jpg
    image-4043899460.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2545470320.jpg
    image-2545470320.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 121
What I would do in this situation is do a pretty big water change. Not sure if chemicals would help get rid of the green.

Borrow or buy a uv sterilizer and or do a 36 hour blackout(no Peking no light!) it's green algea also raise temp a little

How big of. Water change ..or how expensive are uv sterilizer

If it's green algae it may be due to overfeeding, too much nutrients in water, or not enough water changes. I'd prefer probably 30% to take away as much phosphates out.

I have a bag of carbon but its not running through my filter , I also have a jar of kent a gets rid of phosphates and silicas ...that is in my nexx API filter

Fredyyanez said:
I have a bag of carbon but its not running through my filter , I also have a jar of kent a gets rid of phosphates and silicas ...that is in my nexx API filter

The carbon isn't running through your filter? So you're not using it, or you have it in a fuge or somewhere else? If you're not using it, and it's still good, I would put it in the filter. Carbon removes odor, impurities and clears the water up.

Fredyyanez said:
It's In one of those porous bags inside the aquarium

I'm not sure how effective it will be just sitting in the tank in a bag. I think it'll work better if you put it in the filer or sump, where the water can run through it. But that's entirely up to you.

The algae bloom is caused by organic buildup in the water from over feeding, something hidden died, poor filtration or some mixture of causes. In order to correct the situation, raising water temperature, reducing lighting period or a bag of carbon in the sump will individually not be sufficient. Reduce your feeding schedule. If you can afford it and want to run carbon and or Purigen, get a BRS reactor and small power head. That is far more effective than a mesh bag in even a high flow area. Keep up the water changes to help export the organics and the algae will go away.

Last edited:
Thanks guys ....I just found out my filter was disconnected so that might have been it .

Back
Top Bottom