Greenhorn tank advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wags 22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently acquired an old 75 gal tank with no lid. I'm going freshwater , but would like ideas on filtration. I want a set up that requires minimal cleaning (closed system if possible). I have a 6 gal tank with some mollies and a plecko, along with live plants which will be the start to my tank after its cycled. What's a good plan of action?

Water changes wouldn't be an issue. I just don't want to be disturbing my plants and sand if I can get away wit it.

I'd go with a canister filter that's 3X your tanks size in flow rate (225GPH) but if you have plants don't use carbon filtration as it can remove some of the useful chemicals for your plants.

Thanks Calv. That's the kind of advice I need. How about an easy way to to eliminate waste without a siphon?

Thanks Calv. That's the kind of advice I need. How about an easy way to to eliminate waste without a siphon?
It's 12:30 on a Friday nogh and I'm drunk but I'd say live plants use a lot of waste and using a filter that has the capacity for bio filtration like a canister filter or the filter I use which is a aqua clear 30 in a 20gallon planted and I never have nitrates present in high levels

But aside from upgrading filtration or adding live plants water changes are the best way to remove wastes. the only thing I do for it is add RO water from the store In my water changes because our well water is high in carbonates and it works very well

I recently acquired an old 75 gal tank with no lid. I'm going freshwater , but would like ideas on filtration. I want a set up that requires minimal cleaning (closed system if possible). I have a 6 gal tank with some mollies and a plecko, along with live plants which will be the start to my tank after its cycled. What's a good plan of action?

I truly hope you will be moving the fish out of the 6g and into the 75g? I would honestly do a fish in cycle with them to get them out of that tiny tank, it's a tank crash waiting to happen IMO. You can move the filter media from the little tank over to the new one and it will help speed up the cycle quite a bit.

Have you read about a 'silent cycle'? May be something you're interested in... Basically you plant your tank about 80% with fast growing, nutrient hog plants, so the plants use up all the ammonia before it can harm the fish... I would consider doing this in your new tank. Research it a bit and see if it's something that interests you.

Back
Top Bottom