Greenturtle's Biocube 29 Build Thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greenturtle said:
Thank you, I will post some more pics once the sand settles down (which will be days, I am afraid) :/

Cool! You're or using live sand, are you?

I haven't actually started the fuge yet :/ I will use chaeto and caulerpa. If I can find a good light at petco I will try to put it on the second chamber.

On another note, I decided to not plan on getting the green clown goby, so just 4 planned fish. B&W clowns, a yellow watchman goby, and a spotted mandarin.

petsmart sells a small led light made by marine land with a suction cup, it will mount perfectly on the back glass or on the top, i run 2 on my biocube and i paid less than 25 for the pair.

petsmart sells a small led light made by marine land with a suction cup, it will mount perfectly on the back glass or on the top, i run 2 on my biocube and i paid less than 25 for the pair.
Thank you! I haven't really been looking for one yet, but now I know where I am going to get the fuge light.

I'm in the market for a very small light for a fuge, do you by chance have a picture of the light? I have seen some small ones but they are usually like $25 for just one. I woud for sure make a trip to petsmart for one, or is it online only?

Hey guys. I decided against the naked clownfish. So my stocklist right now is...

2 B&W Clownfish
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 ORA Spotted Mandarin

I still have not decided what my last fish will be, or even if I will get a 5th fish. I have been considering a fire goby. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Greenturtle said:
Hey guys. I decided against the naked clownfish. So my stocklist right now is...

2 B&W Clownfish
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 ORA Spotted Mandarin

I still have not decided what my last fish will be, or even if I will get a 5th fish. I have been considering a fire goby. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Cool, it looks good to me!

Ok so I started the cycle 2 days ago. I used a mysis shrimp cube for an ammonia source. I used mostly dry rock and then some live rock from my 90 gallon reef. Already there are diatoms on the sand bed. Could it have cycled ALREADY? I assumed that base rock would not insta-cycle.

*when I cycle, I usually don't do daily readings. I usually just wait a month/if algae appears. And then I do the "cycle test" (if ammonia is introduced and leaves your system in 24 hours, you're cycled).

Never mind about all of that. I read up about it. Sometimes I go crazy ;)

Anyways, I just tested ammonia and I think it is at 1 ppm. I attached a picture of the test. I will test again in a few days. This is kinda exciting!

Attachments

• image-840474654.jpg
    image-840474654.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 120
I think I decided on the 5th fish :)

A Hector's goby!!!

I saw a video of one on YouTube and they are really cool. Plus I needed a open-swimming fish for the tank.

I hear ORA Mandrains are a bit tough, even for nano tanks. Even though they may take in prepared foods, they might end up discovering live foods and might switch to that instead...

Hector's goby is nice too, but only if you have algae and live foods, hence that's why they shift sand. They're pretty darn picky eaters in my experience... almost as hard as converting a wild mandarin to eat prepared food...

Clownfishes and Watchman goby, no experiences with them... I'm usually afraid of mated pair clownfishes, since they're pretty territorial and aggressive (i.e, they'll go after your hands) :facepalm:

Have you checked out "Yellow Assessors"? Those are my favorite nano fish. They're pretty cool to watch, espically if they swim upside down. They come wild (more brighter yellow) or ORA (slightly dull yellow, but will color up nicely overtime).

Starblenny said:
I hear ORA Mandrains are a bit tough, even for nano tanks. Even though they may take in prepared foods, they might end up discovering live foods and might switch to that instead...

Hector's goby is nice too, but only if you have algae and live foods, hence that's why they shift sand. They're pretty darn picky eaters in my experience... almost as hard as converting a wild mandarin to eat prepared food...

Clownfishes and Watchman goby, no experiences with them... I'm usually afraid of mated pair clownfishes, since they're pretty territorial and aggressive (i.e, they'll go after your hands) :facepalm:

Have you checked out "Yellow Assessors"? Those are my favorite nano fish. They're pretty cool to watch, espically if they swim upside down. They come wild (more brighter yellow) or ORA (slightly dull yellow, but will color up nicely overtime).

ORA Spotted Mandarins are supposed to eat prepared/not revert much better than the Blues.

I hadn't read thy about the Hectors Goby. Are the Rainfords Gobies the same way?

I actual have seen the Yellow Assesors on ORAs somewhere, but they were pretty expensive.

Ok so I was messing with my Koralia to put it in a better position, but now I think it is in reverse. The middle circular area sucks in water and the outer area propels it. Do you guys have any suggestions on his to fix it?

Never mind, all I did was unplug/plug it in again, and it works.

Also, I decided to go with a Fire Goby instead of the Hectors or Rainfords. They seem much easier and still colorful. Plus I don't have to order it online :)

It seems koralias are known for going in reverse after being turn off and then back on. I like them but that part is very annoying.

Back
Top Bottom