Greetings from Daledog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps a small incremental change in water could be considered until the water is is changed over to an amount fitting with necessary water parameters for the GF. I would be concerned a drastic change to their water situation could have undesired effects.

GF like harder water as a norm, though yours are used to much different water parameters than what would be naturally desirable.

I think the oldest GF was in Japan and lived nearly 200 years, I came across that online once, if you do get a substrate an under substrate filter is good, I have one in both of my tanks, theoretically turns the substrate into filter media and that can't be a bad thing, would be good with goldfish too, also, just take everything out the tank and see how the water goes, add one at a time and see what turns the water orange, process of elimination

Reading through and love the idea your daughter will be inheriting her fish back. Lol

I admire your commitment to the fish.

I have never had Goldie's but have seen how fast and large they can grow.

I suggest Craigslist. Many fishkeepers upgrade. New and bigger tanks so the old tanks are sold for little. There are 100gallon tanks for $100.

Conditioned tapwater using Seachem Prime is a much more appropriate water source for your fish. They will benefit from the minerals and the Prime will detox anything bad in there.

I suggest you read about healthy water parameters for your goldfish. I suspect your ph is very low. When the ph is low the water will dissolve my snails shells pulling minerals out of them. I have no idea if this is possible with fish but really wonder if it is the fish scales dissolving that is coloring the water.

If you decide to move towards tap water transition slowly or your fish will suffer. They will need time to adjust. Sorry I don't know the details. Embrace the Internet and research specifically for your goldfish.

the PH of my RO is neutral 7.0

I grow hydroponics and have a digital PH meter

got some Seachem Prime on order.

tap water will be much easier

thanks for the info

WELL,
She came back the first time as the shih tzu.
we knew it was her because she made a certain sound that grandma made all the time.

A SIGN we said (jokingly) but who knows, right?

she was also very devoted to me versus any other family member.
she passed (the dog version)
and then I got these fish years later.

one of went goes absolutely nuts when I walk by but no one else.

she wiggles furiously to get my attention if I am near the aquarium.

so we just figured it was her again.

who knows.
can't flush her if she IS now can I?

PS
I also have another shitzu who seems to be my reincarnated mother in-law.
how do I know?
the funeral home gave us a large plant when she passed (the human)

THEN on her birthday several years later,the new puppy climbs into "the Plant" and takes a big movement.

seemed pretty obvious this was a message.

that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom