Growing emersed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've been reading about growing plants emersed for making carpets and such and had some questions. What are the biggest benefits of doing this? Is it just faster? How much faster? Do you leave the lights on 24 hours a day? How is the transition to submerged after growing them emersed?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Growing emersed is much faster, you can use a greater light intensity since algae is less of a concern, and there is more atmospheric co2 to utilize. Ideally you'd just replant them into your tank once they are to your liking, there may be some dieback as they transition again but as long as the stems and root structures are solid they should bounce back.

Growing emersed is much faster, you can use a greater light intensity since algae is less of a concern, and there is more atmospheric co2 to utilize. Ideally you'd just replant them into your tank once they are to your liking, there may be some dieback as they transition again but as long as the stems and root structures are solid they should bounce back.

Thank very much for the help! Would I leave the light on all the time or on a schedule like with my tanks?

I'd put it near a window where it'll get some direct sunlight, can't beat free energy. Otherwise you'll want to have an off period but running 14+ hours isn't going to hurt anything. I've read that plants have a certain limit to how much they can photosynthesize in a given time period without 'rest', but I don't know how legit that is.

I'd put it near a window where it'll get some direct sunlight, can't beat free energy. Otherwise you'll want to have an off period but running 14+ hours isn't going to hurt anything. I've read that plants have a certain limit to how much they can photosynthesize in a given time period without 'rest', but I don't know how legit that is.

Thank you for your help!

It is actually a legit claim to the "rest" period for plants. Way back when, I did a science fair on that exact point.

I believe it has to do with the Krebs Cycle where plants break down the stored sugar they produce during the day. This is when they do their actual growth. Again, I'm shooting this from memory so some of the specifics could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom