Growing Marimo Moss Balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwharold

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two giant Marimo Moss balls growing in a small glass freshwater globe. After on-line searching for Marimo Moss Balls, I found that they like a lot of CO2 which will boost the growth rate. I read that Carbon Dioxide tablets are available from the seller of my moss balls: AquaticMagic I also read that API CO2 Booster "might" be a better choice. Looking for the best advice.:)

Nothing beats actual injected co2

But Glutaraldehyde dosing can be sufficient as plants are mainly carbon anyway.

Caleb

Don't understand!

Nothing beats actual injected co2

But Glutaraldehyde dosing can be sufficient as plants are mainly carbon anyway.

Caleb

According to Wikipedia: "Glutaraldehyde is an organic compound with the formula CH2(CH2CHO)2. A pungent colorless oily liquid, glutaraldehyde is used to sterilise medical and dental equipment. It is also used for industrial water treatment and as a preservative.

What does that have to do with increasing CO2 levels in fresh water? What about the two different CO2 sources that I mentioned in my original posting?

Except moss balls are actually algae. Damaged two large balls with Flourish Excel. Had to take them out and put them in the plants only co2 tank, green is starting to show through in some spots. Don't want anyone else to mess theirs up, they take forever to grow as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Except moss balls are actually algae. Damaged two large balls with Flourish Excel. Had to take them out and put them in the plants only co2 tank, green is starting to show through in some spots. Don't want anyone else to mess theirs up, they take forever to grow as it is.

Thanks for the "heads up" about Flourish Excel. I most certainly won't buy it!Then what about the API CO2 Booster: (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) or my eBay Marimo Moss Ball seller's product named "Carbon Dioxide Tablets :(CO2 Tablet Carbon Dioxide for Live Aquarium Plant Hydroponic CE TA01 Storeref | eBay)?

Not the best link but I'm assuming these CO2 tablets are some form of a seltzer tablet? In which case keeping a consistent and high CO2 level while running lights would be my concern. A nano CO2 injection kit would be my thought.

https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20121004090723AA17Peq

As above I did think of glut (seachem excel or API CO2 booster) as well but see it is a bit tricky :) With val and other aquarium plants that are sensitive to it, I have started at a light dose and worked up. But .....

http://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/CO2_...SVendors_2014_February_14_04-42-06-262_AM.pdf

Seachem. Flourish Excel

Glut
"Dinosaur spit is a ten percent solution of glutardaldehyde, a carbon compound usually used as a disinfectant in hospitals and piggeries however in small doses appears to kill single celled animals for a while then break down to carbon that becomes available for plants thus a two level plant growing assistant. An attack on algae and carbon for plant growth."

http://aquagreen.com.au/aqualog/?p=125

Last edited:
Yar... I said to doodle with all the unknowns and pillaged Amazon and eBay for a cheap DIY co2 setup. Pretty easy and my plants aren't melting because I tried to poison them.

Thanks for the "heads up" about Flourish Excel. I most certainly won't buy it!Then what about the API CO2 Booster: (Aquarium Treatments : Amazon.com: API CO2 Booster, 16-Ounce) or my eBay Marimo Moss Ball seller's product named "Carbon Dioxide Tablets :(CO2 Tablet Carbon Dioxide for Live Aquarium Plant Hydroponic CE TA01 Storeref | eBay)?

First off, welcome to the forum! We're glad to help you here any time! (y)

I have a marimo moss ball in my 5.5 gallon medium tech planted tank where I run a high light, inject Co2 and I dose API Co2 Booster every now and then (when I remember :lol: )
I really haven't seen that much growth out of it. They take forever to grow, so I'm not surprised. Likewise, in my 16 low tech tank, I have 2 that haven't grown at all since I got them. These guys are 10 years+ old.
I personally wouldn't bother spending the money on the API, you won't see any immediate growth out of them any way. Many people just leave them be and they still grow and reach decent sizes. If you're still a member here in 15 years, feel free to post how it turnout for you! :lol: I'm going to let the real plant experts help you out with the real specific stuff now, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom