Growing plants outside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,
Wanted to try an experiment here!!! I have some bacopa Caroliniana and anacharis laying around and wanted to try this.

Well to start I have about 20 gallon cooler laying around so I wanted to dirt it as the substrate and cap it with pool sand. Next I want to plant it with the plants I have. After that fill it up with water and just leave it outside and do 1 every 2 week water changes. I wonder if this will grow the plants faster than they grow in my tank..??
What are your thoughts and suggestions.
Thanks

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I grow plants and moss in buckets outside in our warm season. The old tank water is ideal to add to the plant buckets. The plants like the "seasoned" water. You can always add a fish or few to eat any mosquito larvae. As of yet I haven't used fish in the buckets, I just net out the larvae and feed it to my fish. In mine I just throw them in the bucket don't plant because I don't care about the root system.

The temps are cooler in most places at night so you might have a bit of reduced growth in the cooler beginning and end of the season. In Colorado it is very noticeable. The plants are really hardy though! Mine stay under the edge of a shady tree and I often move it as the sun changes direction during the season so it stays mostly shady (only a few hours of direct sun) otherwise I get a green soup also good for some things but not really for growing plants. Dark Green all over the sides is fine. Usually I don't have any issues.

Direct sunlight will give those plants a boost. Even indirect sunlight.
I've had Bacopa caroliniana over winter in a small water feature (50-60g) but not this past winter (I'm in VA). The dwarf sag pot froze solid and I thought I lost all of them. Yesterday I noticed a lot of new green and red shoots popping out of the gravel. I really don't do water changes (the garden hose leaks and drips into it) and only use root tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Direct sunlight will give those plants a boost. Even indirect sunlight.
I've had Bacopa caroliniana over winter in a small water feature (50-60g) but not this past winter (I'm in VA). The dwarf sag pot froze solid and I thought I lost all of them. Yesterday I noticed a lot of new green and red shoots popping out of the gravel. I really don't do water changes (the garden hose leaks and drips into it) and only use root tabs.

I grow plants and moss in buckets outside in our warm season. The old tank water is ideal to add to the plant buckets. The plants like the "seasoned" water. You can always add a fish or few to eat any mosquito larvae. As of yet I haven't used fish in the buckets, I just net out the larvae and feed it to my fish. In mine I just throw them in the bucket don't plant because I don't care about the root system.

The temps are cooler in most places at night so you might have a bit of reduced growth in the cooler beginning and end of the season. In Colorado it is very noticeable. The plants are really hardy though! Mine stay under the edge of a shady tree and I often move it as the sun changes direction during the season so it stays mostly shady (only a few hours of direct sun) otherwise I get a green soup also good for some things but not really for growing plants. Dark Green all over the sides is fine. Usually I don't have any issues.

Thanks guys. I just finished setting it up!! It's super cloudy but I think it will clear up. How would u add fish in there? Would the fish waste give the plants more nutrients???

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Also if I could add a fish, what fish could I add?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Mosquitofish would work if you do not want any chance of lost fish. You could keep these out year round

Mosquitofish would work if you do not want any chance of lost fish. You could keep these out year round

+1 I keep mosquitofish outside for mosquito control and for their durability. Not so much for their nutrient contribution.

+1 I keep mosquitofish outside for mosquito control and for their durability. Not so much for their nutrient contribution.

Ok great how many should I put in there? Are they common?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Ok great how many should I put in there? Are they common?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Extremely, at least they are here on the east coast. As far as how many, they are live bearers and therefore breed quickly. I'd start with 5-10 so you know you have at least one male and one female.

They seem to be just like guppies, but hardier, and without much color on the males. I had some before I knew what I was doing. I did small water changes less than once a month, and they still thrived.

You can probably catch them locally in a pond or stream, depending on where you are. Really though, anything that is caught near you and stays small should be fine in this tank.

Extremely, at least they are here on the east coast. As far as how many, they are live bearers and therefore breed quickly. I'd start with 5-10 so you know you have at least one male and one female.

They seem to be just like guppies, but hardier, and without much color on the males. I had some before I knew what I was doing. I did small water changes less than once a month, and they still thrived.

You can probably catch them locally in a pond or stream, depending on where you are. Really though, anything that is caught near you and stays small should be fine in this tank.

Ok thank you!!! I too am on the east coast. Actually in New Jersey!! Next time I go fishing ( which is probably soon, I fish like crazy) I'll see if there anythibf

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Keep in mind that the plants can knly grow based on theavailable nutrients.

No matter how much ir what type of light you give they wont grow if they are still missing the basics.

Keep in mind that the plants can knly grow based on theavailable nutrients.

No matter how much ir what type of light you give they wont grow if they are still missing the basics.

Your correct. Thanks for reminding me !!!!! Should I dose anything in the plant "tank"???

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Ok thank you. I just did that right now!! Is there anyway to achieve water flow in this tank?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Not easily, an outdoor electrical outlet would help immensely.

You could place a brick on the ground, put an air pump on top of that, and then put a bucket over that. It'd keep it safe from water.

You could just use a small powerhead, that way you don't have to worry about the pump getting wet and failing. You could make a filter for it using a water bottle and filter floss as well, to help keep things clean(er)

You could just use a small powerhead, that way you don't have to worry about the pump getting wet and failing. You could make a filter for it using a water bottle and filter floss as well, to help keep things clean(er)
The only problem i see with that is that powerheads can get clogged pretty easily and this probably wouldnt get a while lot of attention.

The only problem i see with that is that powerheads can get clogged pretty easily and this probably wouldnt get a while lot of attention.

But an air pump or power head still net electrical outlets.... That's why I'm kinda stuck

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Back
Top Bottom