Growing plants outside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
White Cloud Mountain minnows are cool and rather uncommon but won't fetch a high price. Still, they are hardy and breed well I hear.

Arent they expensive

Heterandria formosa. Don't know how they got the common name since they are actually a livebearer. I keep them in an unheated, unfiltered 10g with all my spare plants.

Last edited:
Mosquitofish have been in my very, very, very small pond for the last few years. That includes the last two winters where they were under ice for weeks at a time. The breed like guppies. I don't do water changes but I have a garden hose that drips into the pond. Pellet ferts maybe once a month. It is only 19" deep, ~60 gallons, external down flow pond filter and a 500 GPH pump. 1 hardy lily, 1 lotus, a pot of dwarf sag, and whatever aquarium plants i throw in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mosquitofish have been in my very, very, very small pond for the last few years. That includes the last two winters where they were under ice for weeks at a time. The breed like guppies. I don't do water changes but I have a garden hose that drips into the pond. Pellet ferts maybe once a month. It is only 19" deep, ~60 gallons, external down flow pond filter and a 500 GPH pump. 1 hardy lily, 1 lotus, a pot of dwarf sag, and whatever aquarium plants i throw in there.

Only problem is my LFS doesn't sell mosquito fish unfortunately so that's why I was thinking about something else

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I got mine a garden shop / plant nursery. I've not seen them in any LFS.

If you have any body of water near you I can almost guarantee that they'll be in there during the summer.

How would I catch them though?? Lol seem pretty hard to catch if there tiny.

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

My little kids (7 and 9) came home from the pond with 15 mosquito fish a few weeks ago. They caught them with a net. They are pretty easy to catch and seem to be made of steel. The are like female guppies, only without the pretty colors. I have several pregnant females. I keep them in my QT and nothing seems to phase them. I'm thinking of using them to cycle my 60 gallon in a few months.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My little kids (7 and 9) came home from the pond with 15 mosquito fish a few weeks ago. They caught them with a net. They are pretty easy to catch and seem to be made of steel. The are like female guppies, only without the pretty colors. I have several pregnant females. I keep them in my QT and nothing seems to phase them. I'm thinking of using them to cycle my 60 gallon in a few months.

If u don't mind me asking, what state do you live by??

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

If u don't mind me asking, what state do you live by??

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Georgia. They are everywhere. These are actually from the retention pond in my subdivision. As an owner, I am allowed to fish there, so they were legally caught, in case someone wonders. They like to hang out on the edge of ponds, where the water is shallow and the floating plants give them cover.

Georgia. They are everywhere. These are actually from the retention pond in my subdivision. As an owner, I am allowed to fish there, so they were legally caught, in case someone wonders. They like to hang out on the edge of ponds, where the water is shallow and the floating plants give them cover.

Ok I live in New Jersey and I fish a TON!!! So next time I go I'll be sure to check out the edges.

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I'm in NC and yes they are the small minnow-like fish you will see near ponds or streams. Bring a net.

Just a warning, catch some on your first attempt as a school of them will often swim away from you after you splash the net in the water. But the first few tries they should be easy to catch. They get progressively harder to capture though.

Back
Top Bottom