Guppies are NOT the peaceful fish they seem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I figure the easiest way to keep livebearers from overrunning a tank is to include fish that will eat the fry even when they're half grown.

Those kind of fish would typically shred fancy guppies tails as well...

Bigzmey said:
I have to keep my male mollies in a separate tank for the same reason. Long term you probably want to keep females in a separate tank. It does not take long time for livebreeders to overrun 30 gal, which I learned hard way :)

Luckily our local fish store took surplus of my hands.

I'm lucky because my lfs does that regularly and I know a lot of people with fish that would love to eat some guppies, so, I'm all set! :) plus, if I had some disease free feeder fish readily available, maybe I'd change my mind about cichlids. :)

You make me nervous, I have a male molly and 2 female mollies in a 30 gallon. Not sure if he can breed with platys since they're very similar, but there are also 3 female platys in in there. Lol.

Many very peaceful fish will gobble up fry like candy when given the opportunity. I once mixed mollies, platies, neon tetras and black skirt tetras. In the year and a half I had that tank (gave it away when I left the continent) I had two fry make it to adulthood, and zero incidences of bullying or fin nipping.

Many very peaceful fish will gobble up fry like candy when given the opportunity. I once mixed mollies, platies, neon tetras and black skirt tetras. In the year and a half I had that tank (gave it away when I left the continent) I had two fry make it to adulthood, and zero incidences of bullying or fin nipping.

Lucky you :) I probably feed them too well, My emperor tetra, molies and lemon tetra don't bother to eat fry (which gets extremely bold) even when it swims right in front of them

Hehe. I've never seen anyone starve a fish (except plecos because they assume they can survive on algae from the glass). Most of us overfeed. I've been known to do so. Of the fish I mentioned above, I think the mollies ate more fry (even their own) than any others.

I'm lucky because my lfs does that regularly and I know a lot of people with fish that would love to eat some guppies, so, I'm all set! :) plus, if I had some disease free feeder fish readily available, maybe I'd change my mind about cichlids. :)

You make me nervous, I have a male molly and 2 female mollies in a 30 gallon. Not sure if he can breed with platys since they're very similar, but there are also 3 female platys in in there. Lol.

You are all set then. My wife and daughter won't let me feed fry to other fish, at least on purpose. I heard that swords and platies can interbreed, but not molies with platies. Let me know how it will go ;)

Bigzmey said:
You are all set then. My wife and daughter won't let me feed fry to other fish, at least on purpose. I heard that swords and platies can interbreed, but not molies with platies. Let me know how it will go ;)

Lol. I'll keep you updated on their marital status! I guess I'm horrible. I would feed fry. :fish2:

MacDracor said:
Hehe. I've never seen anyone starve a fish (except plecos because they assume they can survive on algae from the glass). Most of us overfeed. I've been known to do so. Of the fish I mentioned above, I think the mollies ate more fry (even their own) than any others.

That's what they do... Eat their babies. But if you were to overfeed then there would be a less chance of having your fry eaten because they are full and it wouldn't be as tempting. I have to do it in the 110 to keep my swordtails and bleeding hearts from eating the babies kribs. Works well for me...

Bigzmey said:

I think it depends on how similar the chromosomes are... But keep me posted

I actually had to look this one up because I thought mollies and platies can interbreed. Apparently on rare occasions you can get a couple stillborn or infertile fry, but they won't actually hybridize.

Ya they must not be close enough to match which would be why they don't fertilize I believe.

I actually had to look this one up because I thought mollies and platies can interbreed. Apparently on rare occasions you can get a couple stillborn or infertile fry, but they won't actually hybridize.

So they won't multiply?

Not as far as I can determine. Plus, if they readily hybridized, I'm sure pet stores would offer then as a new designer fish.

I was hoping my platys would breed with my mollies just to see the end result.

I was hoping my platys would breed with my mollies just to see the end result.

I was a little bit, too. But I rehomed my mollies and platys because of the bioload they put on my tank. :( I kind of miss them!

While crossing fish to create new strains can be fun and exciting, there is a certain responsibility that goes with it to document the heritage. Many species of fish readily available in the pet trade are either endangered or extinct in the wild. While I believe mollies and platys are quite healthy in the wild, once should always consider this when crossing.

I agree, guppies are not as peaceful as they are advertised to be. I tried many times to keep guppies. I did make the mistake once of only having males, so that was my fault. But months later I tried again with 2 males and 5 females and still had nothing but problems. I have a 29 gallon tank and I only had those guppies and an angelfish so I don't believe it was overstocked. After months of warfare, they all died one by one. About a year later, I tried AGAIN with just 1 male and 3 females and still...nothing but carnage and chaos. The only other fish I ever had over the course of 3 years was an angelfish and I never saw him bothering the guppies. I'll never own guppies again. Little terrors.

I have to say, I have had nothing but good experiences with guppies. But there are a few considerations beyond just male:female ratio. I consider live plants a must, and the more the better. They create a more natural environment that I find to be less stressful. Also, more plants means more hiding places and fewer direct lines of sight for the fish. It tricks them into thinking there are fewer fish and more space.
Another consideration is stocking levels. Like many cichlids, more is better. One two males will bicker if they can see each other at all. Six males (and correspondingly, 18 females) seems to have very little aggression. I don't necessarily understand the dynamic beyond spreading aggression out, but it seems more is better.

I won't ever try with guppies again. Even with lots of coverage they hang out and beat the crap out of each other all the time. Maybe they would be better in really big numbers, I dunno I just know ill stick with my angels and cory cats

Back
Top Bottom