Guppies fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leatherback1

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm cycling with these 2 guppies (1 male 1female) and the male keeps on plucking at the females anal fin!she has a big red spot there now but can someone please tell me what is wrong?Also,what does squaring off mean?

Attachments

• image-3254131287.jpg
    image-3254131287.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3794117271.jpg
    image-3794117271.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 76
  • image-250823567.jpg
    image-250823567.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image-153317071.jpg
    image-153317071.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 65
So I'm cycling with these 2 guppies (1 male 1female) and the male keeps on plucking at the females anal fin!she has a big red spot there now but can someone please tell me what is wrong?Also,what does squaring off mean?

Hello and thanks for posting. I have kept guppies for a while and i hope i can Help. It is likely that they are just breeding. And the spot is likely there be because she is pregnant. The "squared off look" means they are about to birth. Their belly will literally be almost box shaped.

One thing you need to know about guppies they are a perfect machine they live to eat swim and make little guppies. They give birth about every 28 days after their first birth.

It is always a good idea to have two or three females per male. The male will breed so often it can wear down and stress out the female. I wouldn't add another fish while still cycling, but as soon as your cycle is started you need at least one more female. Keep an eye on her. If she seems too stressed you may want to add the other female sooner. It would be your call.

Hello and thanks for posting. I have kept guppies for a while and i hope i can Help. It is likely that they are just breeding. And the spot is likely there be because she is pregnant. The "squared off look" means they are about to birth. Their belly will literally be almost box shaped.

One thing you need to know about guppies they are a perfect machine they live to eat swim and make little guppies. They give birth about every 28 days after their first birth.

It is always a good idea to have two or three females per male. The male will breed so often it can wear down and stress out the female. I wouldn't add another fish while still cycling, but as soon as your cycle is started you need at least one more female. Keep an eye on her. If she seems too stressed you may want to add the other female sooner. It would be your call.

Thank you!I will definitely get another female as soon as my ammonia drops.I plan on buying an API tester and a fry nursery so that I can get some more guppies when it's ready.Is my female guppy close to squaring off yet?

Attachments

• image-575836209.jpg
    image-575836209.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 74
Thank you!I will definitely get another female as soon as my ammonia drops.I plan on buying an API tester and a fry nursery so that I can get some more guppies when it's ready.Is my female guppy close to squaring off yet?

Oh yeah she is probably less than a week away based on what I have seen in my guppies.

Oh yeah she is probably less than a week away based on what I have seen in my guppies.

Do I need to buy a nursery or do you think my tank has enough hiding places?

Attachments

• image-801472130.jpg
    image-801472130.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 74
Do I need to buy a nursery or do you think my tank has enough hiding places?

It probably does have enough hiding places. You can get one of those floating mats if you wanted too. If you do get a nursery, get the net one. They are not as good structurally, and they grow algae if left in for a while, but I am told they are better for the fry.

I usually let the female birth in the tank then gently catch the fry and put them in the nursery.

I would bunch those plants together a bit tighter. It will give the fry more hiding spots. The filter intake, I would cover it a prefilter sponge or some NEW cheap pantyhose. This will stop the fry being sucked up until you catch them. Keep the other fish well feed, this can help prevent/reduce the others from eating the fry but as your still cycling, keep a very close on your water as this can cause Ammonia increases.
Your priority really should be to get the tank cycled above all else. If you really want to save this batch, then go for it but just be prepared to do even more water changes than your doing at the moment. Personally I wouldn't try and save the fry but it's your tank, so your call. Good luck with it though....

I would bunch those plants together a bit tighter. It will give the fry more hiding spots. The filter intake, I would cover it a prefilter sponge or some NEW cheap pantyhose. This will stop the fry being sucked up until you catch them. Keep the other fish well feed, this can help prevent/reduce the others from eating the fry but as your still cycling, keep a very close on your water as this can cause Ammonia increases.
Your priority really should be to get the tank cycled above all else. If you really want to save this batch, then go for it but just be prepared to do even more water changes than your doing at the moment. Personally I wouldn't try and save the fry but it's your tank, so your call. Good luck with it though....

Thx for the info ill bunch the plants together a bit tighter (i only want to save 1 or 2 ) so a few will survive and look at ammonia closely

Back
Top Bottom