Guppies Pectoral Fin not moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrentonMather

Aquarium Advice Newbie
G'day peoples how's it going my names Brenton and I have an issue, now for a little background I have 5 guppies a couple days ago I noticed a red spot on one of my guppies tail. (Pictures attached one was taken on the 5th of dec and the second was 6th of dec)
Still being new my partner and I asked someone at a store (not our normal store) what it could be, they just said to us it was a colour coming through. The next day he closed his tail after doing some more research found it was bacterial infection. So went right to our normal store got the treatment and treated the tank, did a 30% water change on the tank before treatment and he started coming good then this morning he passed sadly. (7th dec)
Now I have noticed one of our guppies is now acting strange left pectoral fin sticking right out he is on a 45 degree angel and still swimming around currently but finding it hard the other 3 are doing fine.
We checked all our levels and to make sure our store did too and they were fine (this was yesterday).
Is it possible that because we didn't catch the bacteria infection on the first guppy that it may have infected another fish?
We do have another tank but we don't have filters or heaters for it should it be set up when I get home from work im not sure what to do and my partner is getting upset she doesn't wanna kill any fish and its making her not continue the hobby because she feels like she is just killing things.
Any help is appreciated thank you very much.
If you need any more information please do not hesitate to ask cheers.
Brenton Mather

EDIT: I also forgot to mention they all ate fine last night besides the bloke we where treating.

EDIT2: He is about to die we took him out and put in in a jug with tank water but any help still would be great to avoid this issue my parter is really upset.

Attachments

• 20201205_101550.jpg
    20201205_101550.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20201206_100349.jpg
    20201206_100349.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 63
Hey Brenton!

I’m so sorry to hear about your fish. Generally, bacterial infections won’t spread, but it also depends on what is the cause for the infection. I would continue to treat the tank and doing water changes every few days.

You also said that you just got them a couple days ago right? If that’s so, unfortunately many fish that come from the store can have a variety of problems that usually show up in the first few days. The clamped fin and the fin sticking out both are symptoms of some kind of bacterial infection. Unfortunately, guppies often have infections when they come from the store due to transportation and overcrowding in most store fish tanks. Sadly, it is probably too late for your little guy if he’s already starting to display symptoms like that. That being said, many stores have return policies on returning fish if they die in the first few weeks of you having them. So I would check with the store to see if you can get a replacement.

Hope everything goes well and that he does beat the odds and make it!

If you have any more questions, please diner hesitate to ask.

Hey mate thanks for the info.
So the bloke in the picture we got about a week ago but it was a couple days before his passing we noticed the red spot. Now we know what to look for, and unfortunately ol mate bluey didn't make it ether my partner was really upset because these are her pets she loves me she doesn't want them dying. But its reassuring to know that we did what we could at the time with the info we had. But that being said we have 3 very healthy happy guppies enjoying themselves we are setting up a quarantine tank currently so if we do get a sicky we can focus on getting them well to my partner they just aren't "fish" and our local store is really happy about that.
The store she did go to that gave us false info she said should of been a red flag when she saw they use neon tetras as feeder fish and saying we should put a couple in to die and get a strong cycle going. Went to our store got everything tested tank is doing fine.

Attachments

• 20201208_063412.jpg
    20201208_063412.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20201208_062741.jpg
    20201208_062741.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 51
The quarantine tank is a great idea! You can also use it to quarantine new fish when you get them so that if one of them does happen to be sick, you can find out before you put them in with the rest and potentially infect the whole tank.

The quarantine tank is a great idea! You can also use it to quarantine new fish when you get them so that if one of them does happen to be sick, you can find out before you put them in with the rest and potentially infect the whole tank.

Yeah I really can't wait its gonna be awesome xD

Back
Top Bottom