Guppies with nipped fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squigley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all I feel like I have been posting to frequently since I joined but I noticed yesterday that my guppies tails where all nipped and torn, it's definitely not fin rot it h9nestly looks as tho someone went on a rampage over night. I assumed I had solved the problem by moving my molly and platy that both have a bit of an attitude into my 150l tank and hoped that was the end of it but this morning when I got up I noticed one of the guppies tails particular looked worse, I was just watching YouTube videos where the person briefly mentioned that tetras can be nippy, there is 12 neon tetras in the tank with my guppies and I am now wondering if this is the problem? Lastly do the tails heal to their former glory and if so are there straps to help promote this and aid my poor guppies?

Thank you all for your advice!

Squiggly
Don't worry about hyper posting. Regarding the question about possible, complete regeneration of nipped fins, the answer is "maybe".
Once you solve the fin nipping situation, provide your injured Guppies with top notch nutrition and pristine water. If you accomplish that, chances are good for recovery. It might take a few months to heal back.
Look for water conditioners that promote the guppies slime coat.

Thank you For that, makes me feel a bit better! In regards to my neon tetras are they nippy fish? I see them kind of Chase each other but never really the other fish?

Neons are considered mild and meek as tetras go, but slow swimming, big fancy tail guppies just might be too much of a nip temptation for them to pass up.

This would make sense I don't think it could be anything else in this tank but the guppies and neons are the only fish in that tank I wouldn't be able to put in my other tanks due to what i have on them which is frustrating! Thanks for your help tho, I couldn't find much about neons being potential nippers and it was only a very new it comment made on a YouTube video I was watching, all your advice really helps so thank you

That video I saw too. But I have so many neon tetras with guppies and tank is not big too but never seen neons nipping fins of guppies. Neons go after each other but that's normal behavior. But to be safe you can separate them and if don't have room than get some store credit and keep which u like more.

How big is the tank? I saw neons nip a betta really badly but they were all shoved in a ten gallon

How big is the tank? I saw neons nip a betta really badly but they were all shoved in a ten gallon

Hi toad I forgot I made this post, you commented on my betta and tank mates post just before, I figured out it was th gobies in the tank and you confirmed it by your comment! Thank you all

But tank at that point was a 70l but now all residents have been moved to a 90l tank

Back
Top Bottom