Guppy burrowing in sand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madtiiler

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got 4 female guppies last week around Wednesday. From then till now i lost 2 guppies. 2 days ago i found a lone baby guppy hiding under my driftwood, mind you they were in a all FEMALE tank, so idk how that possibly could have happened.

Now the two female guppies that are left are now "burrowing" under my driftwood just "sitting" there, i have no idea whats going on with them, like one guppy looks like its "guarding" the other one.

The only other fish i have in the tank atm is a opaline gourami and ottos, its a 55 gallon, water temp around 83, all the levels are normal, i do my weekly water changes, treat my water. I have no clue what is going on with these guppies >.<

is this normal behavior?

Did you cycle your tank? When you say that your parameters are fine, what are the actual numbers?
Livebearers can store sperm from one male and have multiple batches of fry without coming in contact with a male. This is probably what happened with your guppies. As for the burrowing in the sand, it doesn't sound normal.

Hmmm... I have not personally heard of them burrowing in the sand before. Is there a way to give us the exact params?
How long has the tank been set-up? How did you cycle it? I sort of doubt any of that is an issue in this case, but you never know...
There is always a chance that you just got a bad batch of guppies. How did you acclimate them? Female guppies can store sperm for quite awhile, and can even have up to 3 batches of fry from one encounter with a male guppy.

Ok so I KNOW guppies can act really really really wierd! I have some guppies. Peaceful right? I have one that will start swimming in a drunk looking way, his eyes get big, and he will hide in the cave and attack any and all tankmates near him. Plus my "peaceful" guppies also killed my shrimp and mystery snail. Now granted these were my first fish and I made some mistakes that caused some water quality problems and such but this is wierd lol

Back
Top Bottom