guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluefire

Aquarium Advice Regular
was just wondering how long it takes for guppies to grow up, mine are now almost 2 months old and they are only about half an inch is this normal?

They seem to grow fast the first couple of weeks then more slowly later. That does seem a little slow but not bad. You might try feeding them a little more but I am far from an expert. I'm sure there are ways to get them to grow faster and bigger. Most guppy fry I've seen never got to the size or magnificence of the store bought ones. I'm guessing food quality is the easiest way to make the biggest difference.

well i feed them 2 meals of crushed tropical flakes and 1 meal of crushed frozen brine shrimp a day is that good????

I've heard that a water temp on the higher end of their spectrum will help with their growth. I also heard someone mention that they feed their fry up to 6 times a day. I'm no expert, these are just things I've heard on this site.

When I was raising feeder guppy fry (trying to make them big and fat) I fed four times a day, changed the water every day, and fed a different meaty (brine shrimp, bloodworms, earthworm, etc.) food at each feeding in adequate portions. The feeders were raised in a 10g at roughly 80 degrees F. The tank had java moss, java fern, and an air bubbler. They reached a useable size in about three months, but I believe the time it takes for guppies to be considered at adult size is something like four to six months. I could be wrong, though, but my guppies got nice and big with that procedure. It also matters where the parents are coming from, because if you have mutt guppies then they are likely to have issues with genetic stunting or other health problems. If you're looking to sell the fish you'll have to start watching for culls.

I'm raising another group of about 25 now in a 5g that's a little less strict (only 2x a day feedings, it's at room temperature, and there are other animals in with them) that are at a reasonable size at the month and a half point, but nowhere near as big as their mother. As soon as you start seeing secondary sexual characteristics I would suggest separating the males and females (this happens much earlier than you might think).

Back
Top Bottom