guppy interaction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They should be fine, guppies aren't usually aggressive fish. Plus guppies don't really pair up with one mate, so it shouldn't be a problem.
But, expect lots of baby fish in the future, guppies "love to breed" :)

What I have found is that it is best to have 2-3 females for every male - not for aggression, per se, but because you will notice that they, ummm, "pester" the female endlessly, and if there is only one female per male she gets worn out and stressed over time. It does not make as attractive a display to have more females than males, but it is easier on the females if the attention from the males gets spread out.

Yeah, I agreee with TankGirl
It'll be stressful for the females.
You would be better off with 1 male and 3 females, and in a few months you'll have plenty of babies 8)

In my experience guppies are very docile. But (like everyone has said) the males will constantly follow the females. Mine seem to show off. They will swim in front of the poor female, and then it looks like they try to swim sideways or something. It's kind of funny to watch.

On other posts, some people guggested all males. They are a lot prettier and should get a long without any trouble. Other than boy guppies trying to get girl guppies, I don't think I've seem one guppie bother another in the slightest.

I have been tempted to do the all-male thing myself, and at some point the babies can become a nuisance, believe it or not. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom