Guppy mom to be but when?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogartist

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have got my 20gal tank through the rough part..thanks to this site..My guppy is getting bigger everyday. I got a basket today but I don't know when to put her in there I hate for her to stay in the little area to long.. Someone at a pet store said they will have a black spot IN FRONT? Is that right. I do see some darkness at her bottom but that's in the back?. I am so excited about this,,,It is my first..after starting out so badly all my fish are doing great ,fat, happy and all water levels are just great...
Hope someone can help with the timmimg

It is in the back where she will darken up. In fact if you look real close you may even be able to see the fry moving inside her. Do you have lots of plants in the tank? I prefer to let my fish give birth in the main tank and hide in the plants. It is less stressful on both the mother and fry. Unless you have other fry eating fish in the tank. As far as the timing It is kind of a guess the first time. But after that you can kind of expect every 30 days or so.

Thanks Dave for the help..I ask the pet store person two times about where she will be dark. I couldn't figure how she could be in front?..
I have some colored plastic plants in my main tank five and some little make believe lilies and some came in the basketI made a little cubby place made for the fry out of those and some larger rocks..
I have 10 fruit tetras and a small male guppy..Won't they eat them all? There is very little hide area in the main tank.I feel bad if I put her in there to soon she is use to the big tank and skirting around
Every 30 days..how many will they have at once ? maybe best to leave well enough alone in the main tank.. I would love to have more but wow... :wink:

One thing I have done is made a breeding box out of the plastic craft mesh. ( The stuff kids use yarn on to make needlepoints with) I put this in the tank and it works great. The holes are big enough to allow the fry into the box and small enough to keep the adults out. I let the mother swim in the main tank and never have to stress her. This allows the babies to swim in and out of the main area of the tank as they feel safe.

You probably don't have to worry a lot about the guppy your real problem is probably going to be with the tetras. As with any fish if it fits in their mouth it is dinner.

Back
Top Bottom