Guppy needs schooling group?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

memeaquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have various type of fish in my 20 g, and I am aware that some types of fish must have company, for example danios. I have one guppy, will it need a bigger group or will it be okay on its own? Will it be happier with a partner? I used to have 3, but 2 died unfortunately. Should I get him company or will it be happy alone?

Hi, I have various type of fish in my 20 g, and I am aware that some types of fish must have company, for example danios. I have one guppy, will it need a bigger group or will it be okay on its own? Will it be happier with a partner? I used to have 3, but 2 died unfortunately. Should I get him company or will it be happy alone?
Guppies tend to school a lot, he can be okay alone but they do much better in groups. Ive kept one with endlers (turned out they school together out of desparity) and they did alright so he might school with similar fish. I only did this as i was restricted on space with a 2.6 gallon tank but if you can Id get him a few buddies so he'll be happier and much more active as well

Hello mem...

Schooling fish like Tetras generally do better in a group. Guppies, however, aren't schooling fish, so having other fish like them in the tank isn't as important. Just keep the tank water clear of dissolved fish waste and add some floating plants to your tank to make the fish feel comforable and your Guppy will be fine.

B

No where says that they need buddies, however after keeping them before they are very entertaining kept in small groups and they like to play! Other than that I think 1 may be fine but would recommend getting 2 more

Back
Top Bottom