GUPPY Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dandykcr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, I recently started a new aquarium a few weeks ago. I have a 10gal tank with 5 guppies and 3 cory cats. I went to a local pet store (not petco or petsmart where i usually go) and aquired a new guppy. I brought it home and put it with the bag in the tank to acclimate. After a while a took it out of the bag and put the fish in the tank. I didnt put any of the water from the bag into my tank.
My fish huddled into the corner wanting nothing to do with the new fish. After about a minute the new guppy began trying the jump out of the tank swimming frantically, sinking to the bottom like it was dead,and then freaking out again. So I took it out of the tank and put it in a bucket where it started swimming upside down then it died. This all happened with in a few seconds.
I'm now worried about my other fish. I did a 50% water change and added melafix just in case. They are still in the corner

Does anyone know what the heck just happened?

( my other fish had no problems at all before)

Welcome to AA!! :welcome:

I notice you said you've had your tank a few weeks. Has your tank been cycled?

No, I just found out what cycling was after I put the fish in the tank. I'm very new to the whole fish aquarium thing but I had my water tested at the pet store and everything is perfect. My other fish have never had any problems before adding this last fish

Do you know what kind of test they used at the pet store? Did they use strips or liquid?

I would suggest you pick up an API master test kit so you can finish cycling your aquarium. If your tank has truly only been up and running for a few weeks, then it probably hasn't finished cycling. This will explain it all:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

I've been there! I didn't even know what cycling was before joining AA. :)

Thanks, I will get one of those and they used strips. Do you think my other fish will be ok?

If you do a lot of partial water changes for the little guys, they'll be just fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom