Guppy ratio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldstar8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife and I have upgraded from a 10 to 29 gallon tank. We've cycled the tank and transferred all of our friends into the bigger tank. My wife decided she wanted to get some female guppies to go with our 1 male guppy. We went and added 3 females to our tank and everyone seemed happy. Yesterday, I was in the LFS and saw a cobra guppy. Never seen one but thought he was beautiful so I went ahead and got him. The ratio in the tank is now 3 females to 2 males. Should I go ahead and get another female or is the 3:2 ratio ok?

Get three more females. Not kidding even a little bit. Get three more females or take back the three you just got.

Also, be prepared for fry. Guppies are also known as million fish. They are very good at expanding their population.

What other fish do you have in the tank? I'm not going to lie, unless you have a way of dealing with lots of fry, you'll want something to trim down the herd as it were.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are a couple mollys, a couple platys, 5 zebra longfin danios. My wife is interested in breeding the guppies and the local LFS has said it will buy any fry once they get big enough to sell.

Wow that's a lot of livebearers lol, good to hear about the petstore

True that, but everyone in there are males, except for the 3 female guppies. That's why I wasn't sure if putting the second male guppy in would cause some issues or if I needed to offset by getting 1 or 2 more females.

gold...

The thing I found out about Guppies years ago is, you don't need to buy males. The females you get at the pet store are pregnant from being raised with the males. Once they drop the fry, you'll have your males.

As for a ratio, a couple of males and as many females as will safety fit into your tank. By having so many females in the tank, the males will always be chasing them and won't have time to bother with each other.

Make sure you keep the tank water clear of dissolved waste, by changing most of the water every few days. This is all you need for a healthy tank.

B

Thanks, B. One question about the waste...I still have my pleco in the 10 gallon tank because I didn't think he'd be able to find any food for a while in the new tank. How long should I wait before adding him?

gold...

As long as the new tank is cycled, you can add the Pleco any time. I'm curious. Some Plecos can get quite large. Hopefully, you have a small species. Feed sinking pellets and wafers for the Pleco and it will be fine. I have an Albino in my 60 G tank with Platys, Guppies and Corydoras and feed a variety of flakes, freeze dried and frozen foods. The Pleco has no problem getting enough to eat.

Keep your tank water clear of dissolved fish waste, by removing and replacing most of the water every few days. I always tell tank keepers this rule. This will keep the fish and plants healthy, by guaranteeing a stable water chemistry.

B

We have a bristlenose pleco. I have the algae wafers but the mollys and guppies always seem to get it before he even notices it. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the mollys eating the wafer so they don't eat the plants in the tank. I've tried putting the wafer in at night before I turn off the light but the mollys and guppies still find I first. I just don't want him to starve to death.

We have a bristlenose pleco. I have the algae wafers but the mollys and guppies always seem to get it before he even notices it. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the mollys eating the wafer so they don't eat the plants in the tank. I've tried putting the wafer in at night before I turn off the light but the mollys and guppies still find I first. I just don't want him to starve to death.

Definitely add the pleco asap as long as the tank is cycled. BNs need a twenty minimum, so we want to transfer him before he stunts.

My bn shoves all my guppies and keyhole cichlid away from the algae tabs and then just sits on it and munches, or runs it back to his place sometimes.

My bn won't touch the algae wafers. I have a Dalmatian Molly that loves them though. He pushes everyone else away including the other Molly I have in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom