Guppy suddenly swimming vertically? Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callycal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403992406.021528.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403992377.134026.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403992377.134026.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 66
I have a 60l biorb, I've had 3 male guppies who have been getting on famously and flourishing for the past few months. I have tried adding 2 new males on 2 different occasions and both times they have died very quickly. I am neurotic about testing and I know my water is good, so I put it down to my LFS who have given some pretty shady advice in the past and their guppy tank is also very over stocked.

When I told them that the latest 2 had died (added yesterday, died this morning) they were not interested. I went to a new fs today after a recommendation on here and have now got 3 awesome looking newbies.

The 3 new guys look great an are integrating well, however, one of my oldies, Mr Smee (my fave) has started swimming vertically in the last hour and really seems to be struggling! He had a tiny slit in his tail, literally like 3mm max, but apart from that no visible problems externally. He is the largest fish I have and also has a huge tail.

I dosed the tank with melafix yesterday and today to prepare for newbies, and also added bacteria.

I did a 50% pwc yesterday and parameters are good:

Ph7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 5/10ppm

I also added live food for the first time today, could this be to blame? Maybe I added too much?

Any advice would be awesome, I'm literally sitting by the tank keeping my fingers crossed!!

Since I took those photo's around 45 mins ago his tail is literally shredding before my eyes!! No other fish have touched him so it's not from being nipped, what is going on??? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403993632.550281.jpg

Since I took those photo's around 45 mins ago his tail is literally shredding before my eyes!! No other fish have touched him so it's not from being nipped, what is going on??? View attachment 241639

Can you QT it? I am just guessing, but is it possible he got too close to the filter and got shredded that way?

No, the filter is under the gravel so be couldn't have touched it!

I don't have another tank, I have actually just been looking online to see if I can get a small one cheaply, I'm guessing I would need the full set up? Heater and filter etc? Also do you happen to know how to set up a qt tank? Do I use the same tank water and substrate for water parameter purposes?

Thank you for getting back to me ?

No, the filter is under the gravel so be couldn't have touched it!

I don't have another tank, I have actually just been looking online to see if I can get a small one cheaply, I'm guessing I would need the full set up? Heater and filter etc? Also do you happen to know how to set up a qt tank? Do I use the same tank water and substrate for water parameter purposes?

Thank you for getting back to me ?

I think you can make your own if you are in a pinch with a bucket or something. Google it or start a new thread asking how to make an instant QT for an emergency.

For a real one, I got a 5 gallon starter kit and had to buy a heater. It cost me a total of 40$. I bought different substrate and only used new water with quick start. I think in some situations, substrate is not helpful and not advised. Some people suggest using filter media from an established tank.

I am learning as I go so I can only be of limited help. Members Mebbid and BBradbury and Delapool along with others have been really helpful to me.

Maybe you can figure out how to contact them directly. I don't know how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom