Guppy With Skin Hanging Off - HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callycal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I'm pretty new to keeping fish so apologies! I have a 60l tank which was not cycled (I took advice from a pet shop and only discovered about cycling later, I added fish a week after running the tank with bacteria and treatment!) but it has been going strong for a month now. I have 4 guppies in my tank and have been doing 10-25% water changes daily or every 2 days since day 2 of them being in the tank (which is when I discovered about cycling).

My male guppy had a chunk missing out of his tail when I bought him, I was told this was because he had been picked on by other males and was nothing to worry about. He (and ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399417844.305053.jpgthe rest of the gang) moves around a lot, eats well and seems happy to my inexperienced eye, yet today I have notice what looks like a rip in his skin by his tail, as pictures although you might need to zoom in to see it!

I really need some advice on what to so as I'm panicking - I never thought I'd care so much about fish but I'm very worried, plus my 3 year old would be devastated if anything happened to Captain Hook as he is her favourite!!

Thanks in advance!

Just keep the water clean and stay on top of your changes so they don't get infected. Fins and scales will heal quickly (days) If you notice any fungus or raw flesh around the tail it may be rot/infected which may require some medication from the shop, but if he's eating and swimming about ok then there shouldn't be much to worry about.

Thanks for getting back to me. He actually died last night I found him this morning - devastated! Scarily one of my female guppies also died and I didn't even know she was unwell. I'm super fussy about keeping the tank clean so I just don't know where I'm going wrong!

Sorry to hear that =( Possibly ammonia then if they both died suddenly, i advise you get a testing kit, your tank might not be fully cycled still, but stay on top of your water changes. I had the same thing happen when I first started and didn't have a clue about cycling.

Just a quick question too, are you de chlorinating your water when you do a change?

Yes I have been de chlorinating, it's called aqua safe although I have ordered one called seachem prime (I think) as I've read it's very good. I have the test strips but they are next to useless I can't make head nor tail of it!

Please treat yourself to a liquid test kit, the API Freshwater Test Master is my favourite. Can be bought cheaper on line. Don't be put off by the price as it's a lot cheaper than replacing fish. Follow the NITRATE instructions to the letter, all that shaking of bottles and test tubes is vital for accuracy.
I believe a little aquarium salt with live bearers can be beneficial and helps with infections and damage. I think the dose is only about 1 tsp per 5 gallon, but research it first and add it over a few days.
Good luck with your tank.

Thank you! I ordered one yesterday online, the strips are useless. I really wish I had known all of this before starting my tank, it's disgraceful that most lfs's will literally tell you anything just to sell a few fish for a few pounds

I totally agree. It's rare that a LFS will ask what fish and tank you already have and what it is that your trying to achieve. I have a high tech heavily planted tank but I keep mainly Tetras (50+) and the LFSs seem only interested in customers buying more 'up market' freshwater or marine fish. I have had more good advice on this Forum than from all the so called LFS experts.

The LFS initially tried to sell me 5 parrot fish for my 60l tank, even to me it seemed far too many! I know where I'll be getting my info from for the future that's for sure! Do you have pics of your tank?

Wow that is amazing!! How do you keep on top of the head count?? Or is it just me who has to count every fish every time I walk past just in case lol

LOL. It's not easy to spot a missing fish because I keep shrimp that dispose of bodies really quickly. I do a head count by species when they decide to shoal. It's hopeless at feeding time. During the day, when they seem to be in resting mode, they hang around the plants and there might only be about 10 swimming out front. Makes for an interesting tank though, never really knowing who's going to be out front. I like to keep at least about 7 of each Tetra. I'm off out today to get 5 red phantoms as I can only count 4 and they seem a bit shy. It's a balancing act. The only problem I ever had was with silver tip tetras. Too lively for their tank mates who hid most of the time. A friend took them as he had more boisterous fish. Community tanks are often recommended for beginners but I have been fish keeping for about 30 years and I find community tanks quite challenging to get balanced with the fish all thriving together. Very rewarding though.

Back
Top Bottom