H2O2 dip + Vals = liquid plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just kind of a quick PSA...

I've used H2O2 dips on plants before and it's worked great for killing algae. I was nervous about trying it on my Italian Vals since I've heard how sensitive they are to things like Excel...but I decided to give it a shot on one of them. I scoured the Internet for people's experience with quick dips on Vals but couldn't find anything convulsive.

I gave one a quick 20-30 second dip in the hydrogen peroxide followed by a thorough rinsing in tap water. For the first couple days it looked gorgeous. The leaves had never been a more vibrant green and there was no algae issues. I almost dipped the others since they seemed to be doing so great...but luckily I decided to wait. Fast forward a couple more days...the leaves became translucent and literally liquify when touched. The base of the plant still seems okay...but the upper areas are mush.

I'm sure many of you may have already known about this...but I figured next time someone like me types "h2o2 and Vals" into Google...there will be this thread warning not to do it. It ended up being a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom