Hagen warranties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

munefire

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new on this forum and hate to post about a problem first time but..here goes.
Has anyone had experience with Hagen tanks? I bought my first one this past Friday. It is an Osaka model 41 gallon with stand. Filled it up on Saturday morning to check out the tank for leaks etc. as I do with any tank new or used. Sat for an hour and a half and suddenly I and a couple of other tenants in my building who came over to look at it hear a click followed by a loud crack like a gunshot and out comes 40 gallons of water all over my kitchen and living room floor.

Now I know this can happen but that's not the problem. My room mate and my girlfriend and I moved furniture fast, grabbed a wet vac from the utility room and went to work cleaning it up. Spent two days cleaning, drying with fans etc. nailing down the hardwood parquet flooring that swelled up (terrible stuff:) and all the things entailed with this kind of disaster. Now I could have called my insurance and then they could go after whoever they might want to to recoup their money but I thought of all the hassle etc. and the fun of tearing down very established and nice 80 gallon tank on the other end of the kitchen under the window so that contractors could lay a new floor etc. I deciede I can live with the nailed down floor since it is 15 years old already and dorsn't look that bad.
I decide to just let my LFS know what happened etc. and they in turn call Hagen claims. This is where I may just go with the insurance route because their claims department said because it is cracked they will have nothing to do with it???? Excuse me but the tank was leveled, had no chips on the edge(and even after cracking still has no chips on the edge or anywhere along the crack all the way to the top center of the glass(which is an odd way for it to curve and I mean curved:). Has anyone ever heard of this type of customer relations and goodwill on the part of this company before? Or is this a normal way they do business now?
Anyway sorry for this first post being a downer type one but maybe they will get better in the future:)

Thanks for the post. It is always nice to know who does or doesn't back the warrenty. Too many times things like this happen and it is the first experience the person has. Fish are out of consideration for those folks.

If you get good warrenty, and trust me nobody wants to test them, then report it. If you get good live stock then report it. If not Scream it from the rafters so others can avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom