Hair algae gone????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, it seems that the tank took care of itself. The hair algae I had growing amidst the polyp community dissapeared overnight. But wait, I just looked over to the tank and low and behold there is none of my giant hermit crabs straddling it. He is eating the hair algae, he is actually pushing the polyps aside and going for the algae, stripping it right down to the rock, amazing. Whos says nature doesn't take care of itself. I cut back on the feedings and I guess that is what did it, they were made hungry enought to forage for food. The other things I have growing in my tank are what I believe to be "ptasia"(not sure on the spelling). They are quite small right now and have sriped in the tentacles, white and brownish orange. They look pretty, but someone said that they are BAD, should I remove them?? I hate to kill anything that grows naturally in a tank, unless something eats it naturally, I don't like to intervene in the natural selection process.

"ptasia"( not sure on the spelling ).

Hm, if thats what i think you ment to say then yes you need to nip this thing in the bud. They are a true weed in a reef tank. they will choke out desirable corals and those that they dont choke out they will sting and kill that way.

Peppermint shrimp are known to eat them.

OK, next

Thanks , I just wanted to make sure about that thing, now there is something different. I took a close look at my tank and noticed tiney white dots moving around the surface of the glass all over. Upon closer look they have little legs and some are bigger and look like tiney white spiders, there are literally thousands of them, wtf are they???

Those are good and shouldnt alarm you if you get fish in the tank wont see them as much since fish pick the little buggers off of the glass etc. I am referrig to the things on the glass btw not the weed anenomies you got growing.

although I am not sure that "wtf" was needed...please remember that we are a forum catering to all ages.

Back
Top Bottom