Hair algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish4ever

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gallon reef with a lot of green hair algae growing an I'm wondering how to get ride of it I have heard that an algae blenny will eat it and sea hares anything else (besides blue leg hermits)? That is compatible in a 30 gallon

Astraea and turbo snails. I also got an algae blenny and put chemo pure elite in my filter. It's been about 3 weeks and its a lit better. I also added a phosphate remover to my filter and feed less about 3 times a week.

Hope that helps.

Ill try and feed less I usually feed brine at night and flakes in the morning coul I just do flakes one night brine the other

Is green slime algae much different cause that's what I have I was looking at wrong pics on google then saw a vid on YouTube and they were 2 different things

There different but can be caused by the same thing too much lighting, nitrates and phosphates I believe. Do you use Rodi water or tap water?

How long do you run your lights for?

Have you tested your water? I feed mine frozen 3 times a week. What kind of fish go you have most fish I have been told will be fine with eating 3 times a week. Except some if your bigger tangs and lion fish etc?

I have a clown , a fire fish ,and a bangai cardinal

I run a a actinic lights from 7am-9pm regular lights 7am-9am 12pm-8pm

All my parameters are 0

I usually use tap but we are starting to use water out of an ice machine nearby that has an ro/di system in it

If you have algae you have nitrates and phosphates no matter what the test kit says. The algae is consuming it so your may not pick it up. Water changes with RO/DI, start running GFO in a reactor to reduce PO4

In my oppinion your lights are on to long start your blues at 11am whites at 12 then white off at 7 blues at 8. Only feed once a day. The ice store probably only has RO water not RODI.

A lot depends on the efficiency of the unit. Some RO units pull 98%, some only pull 92% thats where the DI comes in. Then the question is when was the RO unit last changed?

The ice machine was just made so the RO should be brand new

Back
Top Bottom