hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evaunitone

Aquarium Advice Activist
so my hair algae problem is getting worse. I was advised to stop dosing nitrate (what I hadn't been doing anyway) and to start dosing with dry ferts to add phosphates and iron. Well I tried that and the problem got worse. The light are on 4 hours, off 4 hours, on 4 hours by the way. I just read that phosphates are what help algae grow the most so i'm going to stop dosing with dry ferts (why do I have these again? lol) and get a phosphate absorbing filter pad or whatever it is. I'm also going to start using flourish excel. Any thoughts?

Is it the 20g with DIY CO2 that is in your My Tanks info? If so, how many ppm of co2 are you adding? I find that constant CO2 levels keep algae at bay. I absolutely love my pressurized set up. I never did DIY but it sounds like so much work. I have my solenoid on a timer and I basically set it and forget it.

so you were only adding nitrate? plants need a complete diet.... if so i think you are missing part of the equation and thats throwing the tank out of balance. in the mean time depending on the tank you can get amano shrimp to help with the hair algae.

I think it's too much Iron in your tank, or too much light.

Try not adding any fertz for 1-4 weeks, when u see it decreasing...

And get a shrimp or two :)

Back
Top Bottom