Hair Algea Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oyf709

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have hair algea problem for a long time now and it is finally out of control
i try to pull them all , those on LR is easy but those grow right under the coral or with the coral ( such as xenia or polyps) is are to deal with all i can do is pull them out and within days it come back.
i alrdy increased my circulation i changed my light and cut down the timer
I also put nitrate and phosphate absorb materials in refugium.
I also have refugium running with macro algea.
So I really need a better option on killing these @#$@$@#$
btw my fish is almost starve to death cuz i try to cut back feeding (all pushtheir faces against the glass when i am close to the tank and went nuts when i finally feed them)
I heard that increase PH to 8.5 and leave the lights out for a day will help on cutting back the algea...wil that work and how should i increase the PH if taht is so.And any otherthings I can do?
I am kinda forstrated looking for a good solution.

Emerald crabs, scarlet hermets, blue legged hermits, and turbo grazers have all but eliminated mine over the last month. It's not a real fast process if you have a bunch.

lol well thanks for the info, but i forgot to put in i have like 16 electric blue hermit the first day they introduced into tank they ate all my macro algea, so i was like GREAT!!! then they don'ty touch hair algea at all...><

Everything was mentioned I saw except Scarlet Hermets IMO they are better than Blues at eating hair alega but they will both it it and the blues are less expensive. But like I said I think the scarlets really mow the hair down! Ocsionally I even see them hitiching a ride on a turbo to get up higher on the glass. Tee Hee.

I've discovered that my aquarium blooms with unwanted algae when there is a cataylst. For instance, when I use a phosphate pad in my sump and forget about it for a few weeks, the algae will bloom because the pad acts as a boost for the growth of this organism.

Thence, some additional advice would be to change your filter media (if any) regularly.

Also, cut back on your lighting depending on how your organisms react. Decrease the water temperature slightly.

I am having this problem myself.

I change the media every 2 days max as the product describe.
so i doubt it is the media doing anything.

Back
Top Bottom