hair like stuff on lr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jr5018

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have this hair like stuff aLL over my lr I wish i could post a pic but i cant i am at work right now when i woke up this morning there was about 8 inches of white fiber like stuff attached to a piece of my lr i have never seen this before what is it is it good baD ugly or what?

8"of white hair like filiment What is it

I have this hair like stuff aLL over my lr I wish i could post a pic but i cant i am at work right now when i woke up this morning there was about 8 inches of white fiber like stuff attached to a piece of my lr i have never seen this before what is it is it good baD ugly or what?

No not exactly it is more like a huge spider web comign off of my lr i called the lfs and they said it was the critters in the lr doing it and that i should add some phytoplankton to my tank does this sound right?

Sounds like a vermetid snail mabye.

Have a look at these and see which one resembles it most.

Vermetid snail (third pic)
Spaghetti worm (last pic)

As far as feeding I wouldn't bother. Both are scavengers and detritus consumers. They will help keep the tank clean. If a vermetid snail I definately wouldn't feed them. If they multiply en mass, they can get to be a bit of a pest for coral health.

Cheers
Steve

Ok I am almost positive that it is a vermetid snail are these dangerous for the fish in the tank?

No danger to fish at all. In fact they're not really dangerous to anything. Sometimes (although rare) they can irritate nearby corals depending on species.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom