Hair like worms in gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MnMsMama

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all

I tried to do a search, but couldnt find anything one the ones that I have. They're not thick like the pics I've see for others, they're as fine as a hair and they're blonde to brown in color and about 1/4 to and inch in length. My tanks balance is wonderful (finally) and I think what happened is that they came with my plants maybe. I didnt notice them before until I vacuumed under and in my gravel for my usual water change. I'd take a pic of it if I thought it would come out for you to see, but like I said, they're as fine as a hair. What the hay can I do about them???

20 gal tank
2 goldies and an algae eater (small for now with brown spots- a pleco?)
2 live plants
Dont know how much other info you need

THANKS A MILLION YOU GUYS!!

More than likely harmless nematodes. They are quite common and are introduced with dried foods. Reduce the amount you feed and they will soon disappear.

worms

oh thank goodness!!!

I had horrible things going through my head and what they could do to my fishes!

BTW- if I change the food, will that help?? I'm using flakes, does it matter? Regardless, I will adhear to both of your suggestions. Thanks again you guys!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Nah, flakes are fine. Just make sure that when you are feeding that you don't feed so much that some is left over or sinks to the bottom of the tank. And if it does, make sure you syphon it out a little more frequently, or buy a bottom feeding fish like a corydora catfish.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom