Hairy Crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

all4wheels2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry, I can't get a picture...it's too fast.

It's probably about the size of a quarter and looks to be very hairy. Dark brown color with big claws and flat (not round) legs. Is this a gorilla crab? I'm not sure how many different hairy crabs there are.

What should I do? The last piece of live rock I added was really small, so either the crab was a baby a month or so ago, or it has been in the tank for quite a while. All my fish, hermits, and snails are still present, so should I leave it? I do hear a constant click, daily. I am worried about my firefish, as he sleeps in a hole near the sandbed.

Any advice would be great -- I know the surprises are supposed to be the fun part, but with two mantis shrimps and several other crabs, I can see why people go with dry rock :( I'm about to tear down the whole tank! :banghead:

The clicking noise is probably the mantis shrimp.
And if you have two id get rid of them. They can get big..like a foot depending on what kind. And can kill fish.

Idk anything about a hairy crab though

Hairy Crabs are evil, get him and the Mantis out if you want to keep your fish, hermits and snails.

Have you thought about doing a species tank?
If I ever find a mantis or pistol shrimp in my tank, I will be making them their own home.

I think if you have the money you should do a mantis species tank with one of them too.
They are very interesting, and smart...and fast

LOL. I guess didn't post well. I already got the two mantis shrimp out a while back and they are both in a 10 gal right now. Surprisingly they haven't killed each other. I love watching them. I'm debating a peacock.

I was just complaining about all the pests to-date. The hairy crab is the latest. Still don't know what the clicking is either. I'm seriously considering removing all the rock and starting over *sigh*

The crab is bad news the good news if if you do have a mantis shrimp he will get the crab. Crab Hitch Hikers

The clicking could be a pistol shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom