Half & Half

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericwithac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've seen some posts about gouramis changing colors however mine is very light in the front and is very dark in the back. Any ideas?

And no, its not a shadow :)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446236772.737431.jpg

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

I've seen some posts about gouramis changing colors however mine is very light in the front and is very dark in the back. Any ideas?

And no, its not a shadow :)View attachment 279903

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!
That's actually a sign of an internal disease. Compare yours to the pic in this link: Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Andy Sager's Album: Sick fish pics
If it's similar, it's something you need to deal with. That picture was taken from one of my disease books which, unfortunately, I don't have handy in my office at the moment. I will have post the cause and cure later this evening for you. In the meantime, I strongly suggest you do a full panel test of your water as bad water, if I remember correctly, is the main cause of this issue. (y)

Okay, here's what I saw in my book: This is a sign of either poor water quality or vitamin deficiency as a precurser to organ failures due to opportunistic bacteria taking over the organs. So 1 is treatable with better tank maintenance and the other by better foods or the addition of vitamins to the diet and if neither solves the issue rather rapidly, you may want to treat with medicines such as Furan-2 and/or Kanamycin. The Furan-2 treats both gram - and gram + bacteria externally while the kanamycin treats mainly gram - ( most common strains of internal bacteria) and is absorbed through the skin so it is effective even when fish do now eat.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom